TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Get ready, Charter members  (Read 17744 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Get ready, Charter members
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:21:05 AM »
Romo says the first batch is in the chute...should be lots of TP-008s shipping over the next week or two.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: Get ready, Charter members
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:16:02 PM »
 Everybody  watch the skies for the *AIR DROP*.
 That is good news.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:20:52 PM »
Just got my Quantum View notice from UPS. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. I'll be Waltzing with Debby.   Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:57:35 PM »
mine is scheduled for Thursday delivery......i cannot wait to compare TP-008 on the Studer to my 45rpm Lp re-issue on the Rockport. this Lp sounds great and should provide a SOTA Lp reference to measure the tape against.

on Sunday i compared my pristene RR Lp of the Arnold Overture to the tape. i had always liked the Lp and considered it a very good sounding pressing. the Tape stomped the Lp in every way......it was like a different recording.

Mike Lavigne

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:59:05 PM »
Oh my god! I've been in digital land all day (I have a couple of days off) and I've got my whole system pulled apart with probes sticking out of the open chassis and patched in strange ways. I can see I'll be busy tonight! (At least I haven't started redoing the crossovers in my speakers yet)
This thread should be burnin' in a few weeks too!
BTW A few of the other release specific forums here are a little,.. thread bare? It's been a little while since Doc started these so I'd like to remind everyone that these are meant to be a resource for subscribers who aren't getting every Tape Project release. If we say a little about each release (mini reviews) than it'll help those folks make decisions about the ones that they want to try. Think of it along the lines of those "owner impressions" that the online cable or gear manufacturers have on their sites. I usually read those when I'm considering buying something I haven't had a chance to listen to. Of course it's best for them to download it but I'm sure you'll agree, that can only give a pale idea of what the tape version will sound like.

Woo Hoo!!!!!
I can't friggin wait!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »
I also got the quantum view notice. Unfortunately yesterday I packed my deck to send it to Doc. :>(
Xavier Cortes

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:13:23 PM »
OK Steve, i get the hint. i will do my best to post my impressions of each tape on their own thread as time allows. i've listened to parts of all 7 releases on the Studer and they all sound wonderful......remarkable really.

BTW A few of the other release specific forums here are a little,.. thread bare? It's been a little while since Doc started these so I'd like to remind everyone that these are meant to be a resource for subscribers who aren't getting every Tape Project release. If we say a little about each release (mini reviews) than it'll help those folks make decisions about the ones that they want to try. Think of it along the lines of those "owner impressions" that the online cable or gear manufacturers have on their sites. I usually read those when I'm considering buying something I haven't had a chance to listen to. Of course it's best for them to download it but I'm sure you'll agree, that can only give a pale idea of what the tape version will sound like.

Woo Hoo!!!!!
I can't friggin wait!
Mike Lavigne

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:17:25 PM »
I also got the quantum view notice. Unfortunately yesterday I packed my deck to send it to Doc. :>(
Sounds like it's time to give that BR20 a spin.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:30:52 PM »
Sounds like it's time to give that BR20 a spin.

you bet!
Xavier Cortes

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »
The guys above have said it all but here we go again - just listening to the tape for the first time and I too have known this recording for some time, but I have never heard it this. You get a coherent sense of 3 great musicians working together, not just the "Bill Evans Trio" - if anything, this tape clarifies what great musicians Motian and LaFaro were. The harmonic textures and melodic lines are there, but often hinted at more than overtly played, and the whole thing has a polyphonic quality to it that I had never noticed before. This is only the third tape I have heard thus far (001 and 002 are the others) but what a knock out.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 10:58:05 PM »
Now playing Rocky 2.
The reverse is also true, now in the sense that the number of great recordings have declined since so much more detail is there.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player