Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: 4/2 track  (Read 10021 times)

Offline russe41

• View Profile
4/2 track
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:15:30 AM »
I'm looking to upgrade my teac 4010sl player with a machine that will play 4 track and record and play 2 track.
I want the best sounding I can afford for 1200-2000$,originally I wanted the revox b77 which doesn't support
both formats. I want to play 4 track prerecorded tapes with the option to play tape project tapes later down the road.
From some investigation the studer pro decks seem to do this with a choice in equilization options but they are pricey
and it may take some time to find one at a decent price, but if they do do what I want it may be worth it. The most important thing is GREAT SOUND of coarse, any ideas or recommendations are appreciated.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: 4/2 track
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:48:44 PM »
Hi Russ, welcome to the forum. I (think I) saw you post over on the Asylum the other day. If you've spent any time checking out this forum you'll find that many of us here have similar requirements of a machine. I love my Technics RS1500 which has four heads and will record/playback in 1/2 track and also play in 1/4 track. Don't be confused with the 1506 because it is 1/4 track record/play and 1/2 track playback. Another favorite around here with right head configuration are Otari 5050b2 Mk1&2. The Mk3 doesn't come stock with a 1/4 track playback head but it was/is an option. As far as getting the best sound from any of these machines (the stock playback electronics are pretty bad) myself and many others here have wired the heads directly to the output jacks and are using various outboard amps. A few others have modified the stock electronics (pretty extensively) or have bought machines that others have modified.
Some other machines that came stock with the format you're looking for was the Sony TC 766 & TC880 and one of the Teac X2000 series. That's just off the top of my head so I'm sure I'm missing a few. Some 1/2 track decks can have another head added (if there's room) with custom head blocks.
Hope that helps.
BTW There's a Tape Machine Compatibility sticky on the top of the "Tape Machines " forum that you might find interesting (concerns what is needed to playback Tape Project tapes).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline phytoport

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:54:44 PM »
The Tascam 3030 is another example of a machine with half-track record/playback and quarter-track playback capabilities. It is similar in appearance to the Teac X2000 but is high speed and without auto-reverse.
Eric Porter

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:07:48 PM »
Hi Eric, thanks for adding the Tascam to the list. I was sure there was one but I don't think I ever knew the model number. I think that it was the Teac X2000M that came with the right configuration. I've only seen a couple of those one the used market.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rawbcca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »

- TEAC X-2000R : 1/4 Track Playback/Rec., Auto Reverse, 3-3/4 & 7-1/2 ips, NAB.

- TEAC X-2000M : 1/2 Track Playback/Rec., & 1/4 Track Playback, 7-1/2 & 15 ips, NAB & IEC.

- TASCAM  3030 : 1/2 Track Playback/Rec., & 1/4 Track Playback, 7-1/2 & 15 ips, NAB.
REVOX PR99 mrkIII, REVOX G36, STELLAVOX SP7, TASCAM 3030, TEAC A-3440, TEAC X-2000R, TEAC X-2000M

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:58:57 AM »
Those Tascam models should be added to  the "Tape Machine Compatibility Database Project" thread. 
One more interesting tidbit regarding that thread, the Ampex 354 series of electronics had plug in IEC eq modules available. So that could make my 350 transport with 354 electronics a potential playback machine too.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...