TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Revox B77 problem  (Read 6886 times)

Offline russe41

• View Profile
Revox B77 problem
« on: November 03, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
My B77 has no audio output and nothing registers on the meters when playing a tape not through headphone jack either.
When I monitor (input) the meters look good. And when I try to plug in headphones its terribly distorted,not sure whats happening.
Any Ideas from B77 owners would be helpful!
  Russ

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
Re: Revox B77 problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »
OK Russ, let's start with the basics. I use my B-77II daily, so I'll have a go at it. Are the heads clean? Did you try another KNOWN good tape? Is the tape threaded correctly? When listening, the input selector should be in the TAPE  position. On the back of the machine, there are screwdriver level adjustments for each channel that control the output. Are these all the way counter clockwise? If so, that's your problem. Make sure they are set at about the 2 or 3 o'clock position when facing them. Might there be an audio card partially out of it's internal socket? To check, pop the case off the machine. Along the bottom are the various audio, bias, preamplifier, etc. cards. Make sure each one is securely seated in it's socket. If the machine has been handled roughly or knocked around, it is not inconceivable for these to become loose. If none of these things gets you any audio, the recorder will likely need professional servicing. Let us know how you make out. Craig
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)