Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Interesting new toy on the way  (Read 15754 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Interesting new toy on the way
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »
I will be taking delivery of a Nagra T next week. Paul has described working with one as a sensuous experience. Sounds like fun...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting new toy on the way
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:25:39 PM »
I was wondering if you were gonna get that. The cool factor is off the charts on those.
Congrats!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »
The price factor is off the charts I bet too for one of them.
Why is NOW I hear of the quality products, not 20 years ago when
everybody shifted to digital?.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »
One just sold for $5600 on ebay today and the the last one I saw on there went for $5500. In this day of $15,000 CD players and $50,000 turntables that doesn't seem too exorbitant.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 07:29:58 PM »
Hey Ben, there's still quite a few machines lurking in radio/tv stations. Some of the ones left need work but they can be ridiculously cheap. The stations that were hot during the 70's and 80's had some pretty big budgets and some splurged on nice machines. When they went digital, the owners put them in storage and many of them are still there. The hard part is finding someone to ask or rather, getting through the reception desk to someone who might know. It's always worth a try because I still hear about guys getting machines for almost nothing.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
This is Canada -- We have a total of  ONE T.V. network, and the same goes for RADIO.
I count several TV & Radio networks from the USA all illegally broadcasting into Canada. But you are right, if you are lucky you can get a good machine for a song.
The reason got into tape, once a R2R showed up for sale in Canada,
is not the $15,000 CD players, but all the DAC's and tweeks that seem to claim make your $35 CD player? sound like a million dollars. If digital & transistor amps are so good why are $500 line cords selling like hotcakes. Analog Tape for me, seems to be audio done right (barring sticky tapes), but only now have the speakers evolved back handle Hi-Fidelity. The Otari mx-5050 I have was some radio station spare.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 09:25:27 PM »
Oops,.. dumb yankee,.. I have to admit I got a laugh out of my stupidity.
 There really is something about even the most pedestrian tape that I find most satisfying. I think most of us can find some gems for pretty decent prices rather than bumping heads with the big money guys. It takes a little time to learn the tell tale signs of a well care for tape and also the ones that probably never sounded great in the first place so it's a good idea to start out small I think.
It's pretty exciting when Doc gets his hands on something special like a Nagra T. I've only seen pictures of them and read a few posts but if it lends itself to modification, look out! I wonder how much they went for new? I know they had about a gazillion options available.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:57:57 PM »
Eh? Ironbut.  :)
I am of the view point, if you have to *ask* the price, you can't afford it.
As for music, it is strange how different (good or bad) a R2R tape is from
say your memory of a radio, or a movie. The loss of low level details does change
vocals and the feel of a orchestra, and making me think, What was the great music
compared to the hum drum versions?

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 10:04:42 PM »
Just for a point of reference I got my ATR 100 on ebay from a guy in Vancouver BC who had bought a bunch of surplus gear from CBC. I paid only $800, but then spent about another $3000 getting it into running shape, as it had a bad reel motor, bad power transistors, bad connectors, bad bearings, etc.,etc. Runs perfect now, and earns its keep as one of the duping slaves. Still looks like s**t though.

The Nagra on the other hand sounds like it is in very nice running shape. And it can't possibly look half as bad as my ATR.

but if it lends itself to modification
Shoot, what doesn't? Where's my cutting torch?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:06:32 PM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:18:34 PM »
Now is good time to remind you ... you need  to polish it  every day.
Runs and ducks ...

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Woo Hoo!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »
Just arrived. Taking the proper amount of time in fondling each piece as I unwrap it. It's quite compact, which is a nice plus.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »
Do you have the ultra rare - 10.5" reel adaptor?

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »
The Nagra T is a table top model (or roll around) with a front panel that looks like the console of a fighter jet.
Hey, I just kinda flashed on memories of when Paul McGowen was dragging that Nagra D around to all the audio shows with PCM recordings of some orchestra he'd made. I remember hearing them a couple of times and being underwhelmed. On the other hand, at the 1996 (or 1998) Stereophile show in San Francisco, John Garland (he had a super nice store here in San Jose for quite a while where I left my fair share of paychecks) had a room with all Audio Note gear and was spinning 7" dubs on an Ampex 600 or some other suitcase, tube machine that was pretty impressive.
I'm sure we'll all be learning lots about the ins and out of the Nagra T in the coming months.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
First blush
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 09:32:29 PM »
Got it set up and dug through the manuals to figure out how to set up the various speed/EQ combos. This is cool because I have some tapes that Paul has done for me in the past at different eqs that I have requested. It's really nice to listen to some tapes I haven't heard in two or three years.

The Nagra T is a really nice machine. One of the most impressive things is rewind - holy s**t! The manual specs it in M/sec rather than ips or cm/sec, and I can see why. I think it maxxes at about 390ips. But it's very smooth and gentle in start and stop. All the guide surfaces are ball bearings, which is gratifying in light of our modding Technics machines with ball bearings. Tape tension is similar as well.

The repro electronics are pretty good for SS. But natch I'm already looking at how to patch out to a Tube Repro without messing up the stock setup...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 09:21:28 AM »
The Nagra T-Audio and Ti recorders are two recorders that got me worked up about 10 years ago. I purchased my first T-Audio in Simsbury, CT about 9 years ago. Charlie(Stellavox) and I went to see the deck, which only had 56 hours<!> on it. The owner collected high end cameras and other tasty items, but only owned one<!> tape. He also had a 1/2 inch Studer A-80 2 track, which I also purchased. It had less than 20 hours on it! When Charlie first gazed upon the T-Audio, I was sure he would have given his left testicle for this ultra tasty deck. We got the deck home and tried it against his little Stellavox. We were both totally deflated after the toy stella ate up the Nagra. The transport and feel of ulta luxury is undeniable on the T. I quickly sold the T, but found another a few years later. This also did not last. IT should make a great semi-portable deck with other electronics and heads. I have a friend who took a Ti(instrumentation recorder) and stripped the plug in electronics out and installed tube electronics with fullly adjustable eq. It is a total gem. I'll try and post some pics later.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .