Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: XLR to RCA Adaptors - One piece assemblies.  (Read 8124 times)

Offline VonFon

• View Profile
XLR to RCA Adaptors - One piece assemblies.
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:14:53 PM »
XLR to RCA Adaptors - One piece assemblies.
Looked around the NET - best price - import - B&H Photo.
What ever was the advantage of 3 wire audio? In 100 words or more.

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: XLR to RCA Adaptors - One piece assemblies.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:16:09 AM »
Common mode noise reduction - in 4 words or less...

A balanced line has much less potential of picking up noise, especially on long runs with low signal level. That is why it is still in use today for microphones and in studios and other parts of the pro sound world. It does have it's issues particularly with ground loops in systems with chassis, power and signal grounds running here and there. But typically it is better. Did you know that a properly balanced isolated line can even be run a long distance without shielding and still not pick up noise? We got this idea from the phone company you know!

Tubes are inherently high impedance devices. The effects of running a high impedance signal long distances include noise and issues with frequency response due to cable capacitance and the like. So the answer was to run everything through a transformer to step it down to a lower impedance (600 ohms) and "balance" it. That way they could run long lines without all the issues just mentioned.

I will say though that those things add extra parts in the circuit, so in the particular case of home stereo components located within a couple of feet of each other, especially modern solid state ones with lower impedances and hooked together with well shielded, low capacitance cable, then, no, it is not needed and might be more simple to do without.
Is that over 100 words?
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 09:22:10 AM »
For inexpensive XLR to RCA cables, look at Monoprice. Shawn hipped me to this resource for audio/video components at super low prices. The cables look well made and sound good for the price.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline reelnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »
Doc-
No kiddin! After reading your post I went to monoprice.com and searched for XLR. Turned up a HUGE selection of cables and I couldn't believe the prices! I really like the fact that the RCA conncetion we need is actually one end of the cable.
John Hanek (dedicated amateur)- A810, X2000R, X1000R, A3440, GX636. Played thru Yamaha CX1, MX1, YST-SW150 (2), S55 (2).

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »
I just did a conversion of an XLR interconnect to one side RCA. One warning I was given was that some devices need to have the XLR- floating (that is the XLR + pin connected to the RCA hot and the XLR ground pin connected to the RCA ground) I understand the normal configuration is XLR+ to RCA hot and XLR- to RCA ground, with the XLR ground floating. I had to have the converting plug custom wired, since my Bel Canto PL-1A needed the XLR- to be floating.  I am guessing that the monoprice cables have the standard XLR ground as floating.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline reelnut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »
Larry I'm glad you commented on that. I know just what you're talking about, but I tend to overlook things sometimes. I'm thinking about buying some of those cables, but a person would definitely need to consult his/her own product manuals first to verify the configuration, and then contact monoprice.com to have them verify the configuration also. And I'm guessing that since that info isn't offered in the description there's a really good chance that monoprice wouldn't have a clue what it is!!!
John Hanek (dedicated amateur)- A810, X2000R, X1000R, A3440, GX636. Played thru Yamaha CX1, MX1, YST-SW150 (2), S55 (2).

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »
The other thing to watch out for in a direct conversion is that since XLR is balanced, going to unbalanced RCA, there is a possibility of either reversing phase or grounding there hot side of the XLR output. Pin 1 (and typically the outer shell) are ground, but some equipment is pin 2 positive and 3 negative with respect to signal polarity and some is the opposite way with pin 3 hot, 2 cold (not ground - again that is always  pin 1).
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...