TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: 1/2" Two Track R2R Machines  (Read 10468 times)

Offline braxus

• View Profile
1/2" Two Track R2R Machines
« on: November 15, 2008, 01:23:13 AM »
Hello everyone. Im new to the board.

Anyway I'd thought I'd ask here since many people on this site are knowledgeable on reel to reel decks.

Im wondering if anyone could list off all the 1/2" 2 track (1/2 track) reel to reel decks they are aware of. The one I know of is a Tascam ATR60 1/2" 2 track, but I've heard less then stellar things on those decks. So my search continues. Are there any 1/2" decks that stand upright like most 1/4" reel to reel decks and are as compact as such? I don't really want a deck that needs its own stand to use, lays on its back, and has above the deck level VU meters. I'd rather have a configuration of like an Otari MX 5050 type deck, but 1/2". Is there such an animal or am I out of luck in this case?

Doing searches on 1/2" r2r decks doesn't seem to turn up much. Most searches lead to 1/4" decks only, or 8 track r2r decks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:26:34 AM by braxus »

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
Re: 1/2" Two Track R2R Machines
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:32:13 AM »
Hello everyone. Im new to the board.

Anyway I'd thought I'd ask here since many people on this site are knowledgeable on reel to reel decks.

Im wondering if anyone could list off all the 1/2" 2 track (1/2 track) reel to reel decks they are aware of. The one I know of is a Tascam ATR60 1/2" 2 track, but I've heard less then stellar things on those decks. So my search continues. Are there any 1/2" decks that stand upright like most 1/4" reel to reel decks and are as compact as such? I don't really want a deck that needs its own stand to use, lays on its back, and has above the deck level VU meters. I'd rather have a configuration of like an Otari MX 5050 type deck, but 1/2". Is there such an animal or am I out of luck in this case?

Doing searches on 1/2" r2r decks doesn't seem to turn up much. Most searches lead to 1/4" decks only, or 8 track r2r decks.

hello Braxus,

first; welcome to the forum. others here can likely answer your question better than myself; but i will share what i (think i) know.

most 'upright' RTR machines are either lower level consumer machines or 'prosumer' machines designed for the broadcast industry. these machines were not commonly used for studio recording and mastering. as far as i know; the only machines that were made for switching the tape-path to a 1/2" (or higher) configuration are 'master' recorders. these machines have motors and mechanicals designed for larger, heavier reels and are designed with the precision to handle the wider tape properly. along with a 1/2" head stack every other part of the tape path must change also.....and the machine must be designed so that is easily done. this would add cost to the lower priced consumer and prosumer decks which was not likely economnical.

if you look around you will find quite a few 'master recorders' that are set up for 1/2". i have not seen any vertical 'prosumer' RTR machines advertised as set up for 1/2".

according to the tech that refurbished my Studer A-820; from a strictly mechanical perspective an RTR deck works the best when completely horizontal. there is the least stress on the motors and bearings in that position. vertical puts the most stress on motors.

why do you desire 1/2" capability? do you have a collection of 1/2" master tapes?

i own an Ampex ATR-102 with 1/4" and i also have the complete 1/2" head stack and all the pieces to switch to 1/2". over the last year i have not seen any 1/2" software to purchase. i paid an additional $3k for the 1/2" capability and i wish now i had not done that.

i know that there are master recorders that work upright; but from what i recall these are very large beasts. my Studer A-820 can rotate to vertical and still work but i'm not sure it could be mounted vertically.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:44:26 AM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »
What is your intended purpose? Recording? Playback only? 1/2" tape probably deserves a high quality machine and that pretty much means a big one. One suggestion would be to buy a 1/2" 4 or 8 track 5050 and replace the heads with some 1/2" two track heads from Flux Magnetics.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline braxus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:07:52 PM »
I already am planning to get a 1/4" deck for slower speed material, so I wanted to up the ante to 1/2" for recording. Will be recording live material like a church band or close up vocals, etc. Maybe some choir as well. I won't be getting any other 10 1/2 inch reels from anyone else, so it doesn't matter if I stick with 1/4" or 1/2"- they will all be played on the same deck anyway.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »
Hi Braxus, welcome to the forum. You might consider some of the practical issues that will come into play here. It sounds like you're looking for a very high quality in your recordings which is most commendable but if you wish to record at 15 ips you'll be running through a lot of tape. The currently available 1/2" will run you over $80 per reel. For 1/4" the same tape will be under $50. Given an unlimited budget and a couple of strong assistants, a nice 1/2" master machine would be great but in the practical world, I think you'll get much more bang for your buck by getting some top flight microphones and mic preamps.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »
There were various, more compact  multi-track 1/2" prosumer machines made, some with built in noise reduction in 4, 8, and even 16 track by Tascam Otari, Fostex and others. In fact Otari might have made a 1/2"  2ch. stereo machine as well but I don't have a model number for you. I thought I saw one on Ebay in that configuration once but it might have been one of their larger format "studio" machines rather than the style of the 5050 series.
Plenty of quality live recordings have been made on good quality 15 ips.  1/4" 2 track stereo machines.
The best of those might only be outperformed by an actual high end  bulky studio machine in the 1/2" format at 30 ips.
And your tape costs will be higher too.
Not that I wouldn't want one also...
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
OK here's an idea-

I have a Nagra 4.2 full track mono recorder that I think it's probably time to sell. It has sync built in. You could get a pair of these and sync them, and end up with two quarter inch full width tracks.

Note that I didn't say my idea was necessarily a good one...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline skyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »
Here is a list off the top of my head...
Sony APR-5002
Ampex ATR-102
Studer A-820
Tascam ATR-60
Fostex E2
Otari MTR-10, MTR-12, and MTR15 (I'm not sure if all were available)

I know someone with the ATR-60 that you mentioned and he likes his well enough.  Are there better out there... probably.  However, if you have it in tip-top shape, carefully calibrated, and fully set up, you'll be pretty happy with the results I'm sure.