TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Can a Technics RS-1500 be used in horizontal position?  (Read 9758 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Can a Technics RS-1500 be used in horizontal position?
« on: February 16, 2007, 12:25:35 PM »
The manual doesn't say anything but it has feet on the back.

Thanks
Xavier Cortes

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Can a Technics RS-1500 be used in horizontal position?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 03:43:54 PM »
Yup.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »
thanks doc
Xavier Cortes

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Problem with Technics RS-1500 in horizontal position
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:42:36 AM »
I noticed on a couple of decks that when operated in the horizontal position, the tape tension decreased markedly; in one case enough so that the sonics were affected.  Didn't investigate the cause (only used it upright).

Anyone else experience this and offer a solution?

Charles

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 11:54:31 AM »
Hi Charles,

I haven't done much horizontal operation. But I am going to be working with a couple of machines this week and I'll see if I can reproduce the problem. Intuitively I would have guessed that the tension roller arms would actually pull a little stronger without the force of gravity pulling them down. Maybe the bearings in the take up side tension roller drag a little in the horizontal position?

I will also throw in that the tension rollers on both machines I have here have not been in alignment with each other. Of course I don't know if any of this tension roller stuff has any relation to the horizontal operation problem, but the take up side tension roller is closer to the deck on both machines. Since it's distance from the deck is adjusted by washers it seems likely that they left the factory that way. There is some play in the in and out travel of the rollers and it seems to be spring loaded - maybe just by the flexing of the roller mounting arm? One of my machines seems to be a little sticky in this aspect. I will experiment with adjusting that height to get the tape path more planar. I'd be interested in hearing what other RS1500 owners find.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 11:13:17 PM »
Hmm,.. my 1500 is getting re-biased right now. The guy that's working on it said he'd worked on them quite a few times before. The very first thing he did in examining my deck was check the tensioners. Maybe because the bellows assemblies are rare and impossible to replace though. I'll ask him when I pick it up in a week or so. I've been sitting here and trying to think if the difference in height could have something to do with those spacers? Right off hand, I can't but,.. that is the first thing in line from the reel.
I have no doubt that Doc and Co. will be, if they aren't already, the worlds authorities on these decks.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 02:55:54 PM »
Dunno about being world authority on anything except maybe making clutter around the house. I did spend a fair amount of time yesterday exploring some mods to the tape path. Not quite ready to share details yet, as I have only checked the mods visually for functionality so far. We're in a state of flux on repro electronics for a bit, so I haven't had a chance to listen. The basic experiment is designed around getting the RS1500 tape path to be a little more like the 3M M56/M79 Isoloop tape path that was it's inspiration.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle