Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: NEWBE QUESTIONS  (Read 5695 times)

Offline AUTOBOT

• View Profile
NEWBE QUESTIONS
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:55:41 PM »
I have not bought a player yet but actively looking at some mostly the Technics RS-1700.
Now I am sure this has been asked but I just need to clairify.
Will the tape project tapes play of that deck.
The one I am looking at in perfect mint condition and needs no repairs.
Or must it be modified to play these tapes?
Also what speed do the Tape Project tapes play pack at is it 15 ips?
I just want to be sure before I pluck down $1500.00 for a player.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: NEWBE QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:07:19 PM »
Hi,..the RS1700 is an auto reverse 1/4 track machine and without modifications will not play the Tape Project tapes. They are almost always a few hundred dollars more than an RS1500 or 1506 either of which will play the Tape Project tapes. If you check, there is a forum called "Reel to Reel Tape Machines" and there's a sticky at the top with compatible machines. If you're totally new to reel to reel, it might be a good idea to read the "Beginners Guide" which is a sticky at the top of the "General" forum.
It's a good idea to be patient and spend a little time reading about machines before you plunk down your hard earned cash. It isn't that tough to get stuck with a boat anchor when you start buying tape machines.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Re: NEWBE QUESTIONS
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »
I bought a Technics RS1520 as it would play the Tape Project tapes natively (switchable equalization), but would still be upgradeable if  at somepoint I want to juice up the playback head and bypass the native preamp. The thing is built like a brickhouse; it makes my ReVox A77 look like a toy.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's