Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Otari MX-50/55/5050 'Master Recorder' Information  (Read 37071 times)

Offline JB3

• View Profile
Otari MX-50/55/5050 'Master Recorder' Information
« on: November 22, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
Hi, I hope this will clear up some of the questions that have been raised about the Otari MX-50/55/5050 Master Recorder Series.

The basics can be found at http://www.otari.com/company/index.html.

The MX-55 predates the MX-5050 Series by three years. The build quality is generally the same on all of these fine units and is quite good, essentially military tank quality.

The MX-55 was introduced in 1987 as a 1/4", three speed (two speeds available front panel), two track plus timecode track 'Master Recorder' and can handle tape reels from 3 inch to NAB 10 1/2 inch reels.

It was followed by the MX-50 in 1988 (no timecode) and the venerable MX-5050 in 1990.

The MX-5050 was shipped in various minor model configurations (BII, BIII, BIV) depending on features, but is basically an updated MX-55/50 - It is a 1/4", two track 'Master Recorder' without timecode (and brother to the venerable MX-5050 MK III 1/2" 8 track recorder), capable of recording speeds of 3 3/4, 7 1/2, and 15 IPS, with both NAB and IEC EQ.
In addition, most of the MX-5050 machines contain a fourth head mounted in the headstack which allows play (but not recording) of 1/4" stereo (four track stereo) tapes of the era.

All machines featured direct drive motors (no belts) and some of the smoothest transport servo technology around (really nice for handling old tapes for restoration or transfer to digital).

I hope this answers some of the questions I've seen around the internet regarding these machines, which are frequently found for sale at very reasonable prices. I wouldn't class the electronics to be up there with the Ampex mastering recorders of the same ilk, but their cost and maintainability are certainly attractive in comparison. (Otari also manufactures the MTR-12 Mastering Recorder and it's brother the MTR-90 Multitrack.)

I hope this helps some of you who have tried to find this information.

...JB

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
Re: Otari MX-50/55/5050 'Master Recorder' Information
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »
JB do you know anything about improving the sound quality, by changing out some of the electronics? Like caps and op amps etc.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:49:32 PM »
Hi JB, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the info on the Otari's. I always wondered where those models fell in their timeline. Do you know where the MTR10/15 sit in the line?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline JB3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »
Sorry about the delay in responding...

First, to JCMusic: The short answer is no. I haven't done any modifications to my 5050-8 track or to the 55 that I use. My primary usage for either of these units has been primarily archival transfers to digital and thus I have had no need to go after the sounds associated with saturating, using high-bias tape, or improving the electronics in the machines that I have, although I have had the 5050-8 recapped once.

Ironbut, according to Otari's timeline, the MTR10 Master Tape Recorder (MTR) was introduced in 1981, the MTR 15 followed 8 years later in 1989. (Does that indicate that the MTR 10 had a good nine year run before it was upgraded to the 15?)

Other notes regarding these machines might be to add that the 50/5050 series were introduced, if I am not mistaken, into the market as broadcast or semi-pro machines, of a smaller dimension than their 'big brothers' the MTR series, despite their eventual uses in many 'pro' studios and projects. It might also be noted that the original MX-5050 was introduced in 1974, before the wide distribution of the MX-5050 B (1977)/BII (1982)/BIII (1990) machines which became quite prevalent in broadcast and studio usage later on.

As a historical note and perspective, Otari Electric had been founded in Mitaka, Tokyo in 1965, Otari Corporation, USA being founded in 1973.

Hope this is accurate and helps...

...JB
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:33:18 AM by JB3 »

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:31:21 AM »
I'll just throw in that there was an MTR-12 too, and that the MTR-15 is still available in a playback only format for archival use. After having a conversation with Otari's head engineer in LA I am interested in getting hands on an MTR-15. By his description it is rather ATR-100ish.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline JB3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »
docB: Funny you should mention this. I would tend to agree that the quality of these machines has been underrated.

Additionally, I'm sorry to say, I think you just missed two MTR-15's that were for sale on Craigslist LA when I made my original posting.

...JB
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 11:57:28 AM by JB3 »

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 12:45:01 PM »
Thanks for the info about the craigslist posting. Not a big deal, as I am just interested in getting my hands on one to see how it works, not necessarily in buying one. Out of curiosity, what were the asking prices?
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 12:50:25 PM »
Thank JB, here's a link with some Otari pictures and the main site has parts and some info (always under construction it seems). Do you work for an institution or is your archiving done out of your own business? If you have a web site, I'd like to check it out.
Doc, you might want to check out the picture on that gallery of the APD 1620 under "Strange and Rare Machines" on page 2. Kinda hard to see if it has pinch rollers. Another link in the isolink trail.
http://analogrules.com/Gallery/albums.php?set_albumListPage=1
BTW It takes a long time to get this link loaded so be patient.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:22:07 PM »
I'll just throw in that there was an MTR-12 too, and that the MTR-15 is still available in a playback only format for archival use. After having a conversation with Otari's head engineer in LA I am interested in getting hands on an MTR-15. By his description it is rather ATR-100ish.

Doc,

Were you quoted a price for the MTR-15 that you can share? 

It is not listed on the Otari site.
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 09:31:53 AM »
First, to JCMusic: The short answer is no. I haven't done any modifications to my 5050-8 track or to the 55 that I use. My primary usage for either of these units has been primarily archival transfers to digital and thus I have had no need to go after the sounds associated with saturating, using high-bias tape, or improving the electronics in the machines that I have, although I have had the 5050-8 recapped once.

JB what type of caps did you use when you recaped?

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
Hi David,

I was not given much info at all about the MTR-15 except the chance to look at a block diagram for a few minutes.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline antilog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »
Any info on the "HD" designation? I picked up two decks in need of repair / restoration, and one of them is "HD" (Otari 5050 BII-2HD I believe).  I am new to this level of tape involvement and restoration, and am soaking everything in.  This site is amazing.

Thanks

Offline Glenn Taylor

• View Profile
Re: Otari MX-55 'Master Recorder' Information
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »
Hi, I hope this will clear up some of the questions that have been raised about the Otari MX-50/55/5050 Master Recorder Series.

The basics can be found at http://www.otari.com/company/index.html.

The MX-55 predates the MX-5050 Series by three years. The build quality is generally the same on all of these fine units and is quite good, essentially military tank quality.

The MX-55 was introduced in 1987 as a 1/4", three speed (two speeds available front panel), two track plus timecode track 'Master Recorder' and can handle tape reels from 3 inch to NAB 10 1/2 inch reels.

It was followed by the MX-50 in 1988 (no timecode) and the venerable MX-5050 in 1990.

The MX-5050 was shipped in various minor model configurations (BII, BIII, BIV) depending on features, but is basically an updated MX-55/50 - It is a 1/4", two track 'Master Recorder' without timecode (and brother to the venerable MX-5050 MK III 1/2" 8 track recorder), capable of recording speeds of 3 3/4, 7 1/2, and 15 IPS, with both NAB and IEC EQ.
In addition, most of the MX-5050 machines contain a fourth head mounted in the headstack which allows play (but not recording) of 1/4" stereo (four track stereo) tapes of the era.

All machines featured direct drive motors (no belts) and some of the smoothest transport servo technology around (really nice for handling old tapes for restoration or transfer to digital).

I hope this answers some of the questions I've seen around the internet regarding these machines, which are frequently found for sale at very reasonable prices. I wouldn't class the electronics to be up there with the Ampex mastering recorders of the same ilk, but their cost and maintainability are certainly attractive in comparison. (Otari also manufactures the MTR-12 Mastering Recorder and it's brother the MTR-90 Multitrack.)

I hope this helps some of you who have tried to find this information.

...JB
  I am looking for a Otrai MX 55 to try mixing to. I have to say if the dates above are correct how come I bought and owned a recording studio in San Diego that had an Otari 5050 in 1980?  You say that it was not out until 1990 did you mean 1980?

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
Yes, I think these dates are off by ten years. IIRC the MX-5050 appeared around 1980
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline LAB3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »
I am new here but not to R2R. What year was the MX5050BIII-2 started? I have my late dad's 1978 Revox A-77 MK IV Dolby I had restored and now I am hooked.  Looking for a 1/2 track 15 IPS that will play and record both 1/4 (7 1/2) and 1/2 track like the BIII-2 if I can find one with both head stacks.
Thanks
Louis
Revox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Akai GX-4000D   Klipsch Cornwall I, Heresy II