TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: TP Tapes And Heat  (Read 5122 times)

Offline reelnut

• View Profile
TP Tapes And Heat
« on: November 24, 2008, 10:53:14 PM »
Hello readers-

One thing preventing me from becoming a TP subscriber is not knowing precisely what amount of heat it takes to degrade a tape, in this case the TP tapes I'd be buying!

I was writing another novel here, then went back and deleted it and decided to go right to the specifics:

I need to know what the effects of exposure to 80degF heat for one week every year would be, assuming the humidity is at the correct level of 55-60%. The tapes are to be stored on shelves behind closed doors, which should prevent any sudden extreme  changes in temp, but won't prevent the temp from getting up to 80deg.

And what are the ailments of a tape which has seen too much heat? Oxide shedding? Noisy tapes? Thanks!

Oh, I almost forgot: The rest of the year would see the media at about 55-60% humidity and 66-72degF!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:55:15 PM by reelnut »
John Hanek (dedicated amateur)- A810, X2000R, X1000R, A3440, GX636. Played thru Yamaha CX1, MX1, YST-SW150 (2), S55 (2).

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: TP Tapes And Heat
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:47:06 PM »
The TP tapes are recorded on RMGI 468 and while I'm in California where it doesn't get very humid (it does get over 60% for a week or so) it does get into the 100 degF for weeks every year. I haven't had any issues with tape issues with them (no AC I'm sorry to say). There are other subscribers here that live in more tropical climates and I'm sure that we would have heard something regarding tape stability if that was an issue. The tape formula was chosen by Paul and he's had decades of experience with this tape (Emtec/BASF). The tapes are also double boxed so even if there were sudden temp/humidity changes, I think that the boxes would make the changes that the tape saw much more gradual.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline sound signal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 02:16:17 AM »
John, the temperature here in Nicosia, Cyprus, can easily exceed 110 of your Fahrenheit degrees in the summer (42 degrees Celsius) and humidity can sometimes be stifling.  The temperature inside my house when I am away at work and the airconditioning is off can easily be even higher than that at noon in the summer.

All my important recordings are on 468 tape (Agfa until the early nineties, BASF/EMTEC thereafter, RMGI since 2005) and all sound as good today as the day I made them, despite having been stored in my house in the above conditions, some of them for over a decade.

I don't think the weather conditions you have described should prevent you from becoming a TP subscriber.

Having said that, I am soon going to begin storing my tapes in better conditions.  I understand it is possible to get, for a reasonable amount of money, wine coolers (refrigerators) which can store, say, four dozen bottles of wine at a presettable temperature anywhere between 39 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit (between 4 and 18 degrees Celsius).  The higher end of that range should be perfect for storing tape.

With best regards,
George Karaolides
Nicosia, Cyprus

Offline reelnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:10:18 AM »
OK guys-
It's really good to know that. The climate I was describing is NE Oregon, which is likely just about as perfect for tapes as you could ask for. Except for the fact that my apt does heat up to around 80degF for about a week in the summer,
due to overload of the building's swamp coolers and the fact we aren't allowed to have AC units hanging out of the windows. Thanks! One hurdle jumped and one more to go!
John Hanek (dedicated amateur)- A810, X2000R, X1000R, A3440, GX636. Played thru Yamaha CX1, MX1, YST-SW150 (2), S55 (2).