TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: More orchestral blockbusters  (Read 9632 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
More orchestral blockbusters
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
A Mahler symphony, preferably one of the "Wunderhorn" symphonies (2,3,4). I'm open to suggestion with respect to performances. Klemperer maybe for 2? Kletzki for 4? Bernstein for 3 (if good sound can be obtained)?

Bruckner 4 - perhaps the Bohm version (I'd actually prefer the 8th symphony, but my favorite performance, the Karajan with the VPO, is a digital recording.

Schubert - the Great C Major symphony - how about Krips on Decca?

Saint-Saens Organ symphony - yep it is a blockbuster. Can't say I have a favorite recording - the Munch tape used to go for mucho dinero.

Tchaikovsky Symphony 5 - well, not the greatest symphony, but the Mravinksy recording is an incredible reading - intense, subjective and well executed.

Fun.

Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: More orchestral blockbusters
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:06 PM »
I will 2nd the request for some Saint-Saens.
I have an EMI budget release CD that has some other fun stuff beside the Organ Symphony including Danse macabre which is a real audio as well as musical showpiece, Carnival of the Animals etc. Really all of his stuff taxes the dynamic limits of most recording media and is fun as well.
I have no idea of who has the best performances of any of this. My CD is analog (ADD) and is Louis Fremaux / City of Birmingham Symphony.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:46:55 AM »
I will 2nd the request for some Saint-Saens.
I have an EMI budget release CD that has some other fun stuff beside the Organ Symphony including Danse macabre which is a real audio as well as musical showpiece, Carnival of the Animals etc. Really all of his stuff taxes the dynamic limits of most recording media and is fun as well.
I have no idea of who has the best performances of any of this. My CD is analog (ADD) and is Louis Fremaux / City of Birmingham Symphony.

I will quote my own previous post in that I now know that Larry Toy thinks this is a good recording of the Organ symphony (No.3) and the Tape Project has access to the EMI catalog. Beside all this Danse macabre seems to be a good halloween suggestion !
There is another recording of that piece on Reference Recordings RR-82 by Eiji Oue / Minnesota Orchestra, but I think that is from a digital master.
Back to the Fremaux CD, you couldn't quite fit it all on 2 reels as a sort of Saint-Saens "greatest hits" and the last cut (Bacchanale from Samson and Delilah) is actually by another orchestra anyway, but at least perhaps Danse macabre , Carnival of the Animals and the Organ Symphony might be put on 2 long reels.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »
As Steve mentioned, my favorite Saint-Saens Organ Symphony is the recording by Louis Fremaux and the Birmingham Symphony on EMI. The record only has the symphony, not Danse Macabre.  The deep bass of the organ pedals is quite amazing. The Munch recording is also a spectacular recording, with not quite the very lowest octave that the Fremaux has. Back in the mid 60's when I was in college, I was fortunate to hear Munch conduct the Organ Symphony with the BSO and the organist on the record, Berj Zamkochian. Munch had been conductor of the BSO from 1949, but was succeeded by Eric Leinsdorf in 1962. This was a guest appearance by Munch.  Probably it was around 1966.

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline PJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
A Mahler symphony, preferably one of the "Wunderhorn" symphonies (2,3,4). I'm open to suggestion with respect to performances. Klemperer maybe for 2? Kletzki for 4? Bernstein for 3 (if good sound can be obtained)? ...
Second the Bernstein Mahler 3, this is the recording that opened my eyes to Mahler. But it's nearly 2 hours, not gonna fit on a couple reels. Same problem with most of the Mahler symphonies I'm afraid. Mahler 2 is another beloved piece; I have a terrific reading by Haitink and the Concertgebouw - Elly Ameling sings the soprano. Nice!

I like the other suggestions as well...
Paul Joppa
Bottlehead R&D

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Mahler's pieces with a "cast of thousands". Unfortunately most of those are very long.

I'd like to suggest an alternative from Gustav's stable.
Songs from " Des Knaben Wunderhorn" is a favorite Barclay-Crocker tape of mine. The Phillips (PHI G 9500 316) Haitink/Concertgebouw recording is stunning. At a little over 50 minutes, it would fit on the two tape package. Jessye Norman (soprano) and John Shirly-Quirk (bass) provide a lyrical counterpoint to Mahler's heavy orchestration. Just like most of his symphonies, these songs contain charming folk tunes and military marches of the times.
This particular recording is one of the best sounding of the BC's I own. I also find classical vocalists to be wonderful vehicles for displaying the sonic advantages of well made tapes.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 12:41:21 AM »
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Mahler's pieces with a "cast of thousands". Unfortunately most of those are very long.

I'd like to suggest an alternative from Gustav's stable.
Songs from " Des Knaben Wunderhorn" is a favorite Barclay-Crocker tape of mine. The Phillips (PHI G 9500 316) Haitink/Concertgebouw recording is stunning. At a little over 50 minutes, it would fit on the two tape package. Jessye Norman (soprano) and John Shirly-Quirk (bass) provide a lyrical counterpoint to Mahler's heavy orchestration. Just like most of his symphonies, these songs contain charming folk tunes and military marches of the times.
This particular recording is one of the best sounding of the BC's I own. I also find classical vocalists to be wonderful vehicles for displaying the sonic advantages of well made tapes.

Steve, "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" is a great work, no doubt. I have heard it just once in concert, with the SF Symphony in 1972 (I think) with Shirley-Quirk and I think (although memory may be doubtful) Janet Baker, Ozawa conducting. For those who are not that familiar with Mahler, Des Knaben Wunderhorn is a set of German folk poems (many rather grim) that Mahler set to music - these form the basis for what are known collectively as the Wunderhorn symphonies, which are 2, 3 and 4, which contain songs and/or music from Des Knaben Wunderhorn.Many believe that the classic recording of this piece is the EMI, with Schwarzkopf, Fischer-Dieskau and Szell. I have that one, and also the Bernstein with Ludwig and Berry. Haven't heard the Haitink that you refer to.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's