TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Pinch Roller refurbishing  (Read 24881 times)

Offline scully280

• View Profile
Pinch Roller refurbishing
« on: February 17, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »
Here is a service that rebuilds pinch rollers and other rubber parts such as idler wheels.  His address:

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

I just received my two rebuilt RS-1500 rollers, but haven't tried them yet. The material appears to be slightly harder than the NOS rollers (my last pair) that I just installed a few weeks ago.  The hardness may require a change in the back tension voltage when these rollers are installed.  Wonder if any others have tried this source?

Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Re: Pinch Roller refurbishing
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 06:44:13 AM »
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Terry

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:26:22 PM »
Forgot to mention: when you get a roller back from Terry or any other rebuilder, it's a good time to check the playback(record) tension against the capstan shaft as the roller diameter may have changed slightly.  While a tape is running take a spring guage, attach the arm to the roller shaft and pull the guage straight away from the capstan.  Read the guage when the music "burbles".  Probably somewhere between 3 and 5 lbs of force is good - but check your manual.

Spring guage not in your tool kit - get one!

Charles

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 08:12:46 PM »
Hey Charles, what's a good brand for a spring gauge? I have a couple of cheap plastic ones I got from Edmund Scientific. They're just a bit better than guessing. It sure would be nice to have one that holds the max reading for braking/ motor torque etc.. I don't really want to spend a fortune but, inaccurate measurement tools are useless.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline scully280

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »
RE: RS-1500's
The back tension is a little weirder as there has to be a controlled slip on the large, slick capstan to keep tension in the "isolated" loop, and this involves the differential tension between the reel motors.  The service manual has full details and includes the use of a spring guage, seconding stellavox' reccomend. 
Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Spring Scale
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:01:22 PM »
I've picked up a few spring scales over the years from various (now forgotten) sources.  Did a BRIEF Internet search for spring scales and came up with this link:

http://www.wholesale-scales.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=210

Company has a variety of scales for as little as $10 each - largest one has a capacity up to 2000 grams which is around 4 lbs.

Didn't check to see if they have some ridiculous minimum order however.

Good Luck

Charles

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:41:08 PM »
Thanks Charles. Those are pretty much the same as the ones I got from Edmund Scientific. They do have some other hanging digital scales that might be better. They do sell single units though. One big advantage they have over Edmund is that I won't end up with a bunch of other stuff that I didn't know that I wanted until I looked at it on their online catalog!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 09:45:43 PM »
Now that I have snagged a decent (ARPO) tension gauge for myself on e-bay I'll share ;^)> One name you guys want to keep in mind is Correx.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 09:20:21 PM »
I found some precision spring scales over on MDI Precision Motor Works. They ain't cheap! (Swiss) But they look like a step up from what I have. They have lots of good stuff for sale there for aligning etc.. It looks like they might be one of ATR's competitors. They have quite a few ATR mods and replacement components. Nice looking site too. Lots of Otari stuff (MTR).
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 10:06:23 AM »
Now that I have snagged a decent (ARPO) tension gauge for myself on e-bay I'll share ;^)> One name you guys want to keep in mind is Correx.

Hey Doc,

I guess you don't wan't me bidding on this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Correx-Gramm-Gage-Haag-Streit-A-G_W0QQitemZ270093837029QQihZ017QQcategoryZ25272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Xavier Cortes

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »
Go ahead, but be forewarned that my maximum bid is $7,000,000. ;^)> I am bidding on that one to get a second gauge that reads more accurately in lower ranges than the first one I bought, which goes to 1Kg.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 04:05:57 PM »
I was just kidding. You've already bid more than my reserve price!
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Ooh! Nice one. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those. I love nice tools, even if I only get to use it every blue moon. Speaking of Ebay,.. did you guys get a look at how much that rs1700 went for the other day! It looked like a nice one, but $1200.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »
I just got my ARPO tension gauge this afternoon - very nice piece of gear. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

$1200 for an RS1700 bought by long distance? Give me the buyer's e-mail! I've got some prisitine jun-, uh, collectables I'd like to move...

I'm telling you guys, it's a real crapshoot out there. We've got a medium sized pile of these things now and none of them are mint, not even the mint looking ones. They really need to be gone through thoroughly, and a lot of them need work of one kind or another. There are plenty of them out there, so be patient and conservative with your bids.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle