Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: good old book  (Read 6035 times)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
good old book
« on: December 06, 2008, 01:31:40 PM »
Packed with a tape machine I got recently was a book. The title is "Tape Recorder Service Manual And Trouble-Shooting Workbook" by Robert Marshall published by Chilton  (#980) in 1962. Though old and focusing primarily on tube electronics and mechanical transports with idlers and belts etc., it gives a great and pretty detailed look into how tape recording works in general as well as a lot of basic electronic theory for the beginner. The main idea was to equip the tape recorder user of the day with knowledge to understand how their machine worked, logical repair and troubleshooting procedures. I guess the best thing about it is that it gives a lot of information about electronics, particularly old electronics as it existed 1962 all in one place. If you are a beginner restoring a machine of that era this book and Phil Van Praag's "Evolution of the Audio Recorder" are both helpful.

Some sample chapter headings:

The Electronic Components in an Audio Device

The Anatomy of Your Tape Recorder

Electrical Circuits in a Tape Recorder

Trouble Symptoms

etc.
Well worth looking for as a resource even if it knows nothing of microprocessor controlled logic and barely acknowledges these new transistor thingies.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:05:32 PM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: good old book
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »
Thanks for the tip Steve. I've been looking for something that goes into a little more depth than your average " cleaning heads and how to un-jam a cassette" guide. I'll check it out.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades