TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: noisy mechanicals on fast wind on technics 1500 decks  (Read 12745 times)

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
noisy mechanicals on fast wind on technics 1500 decks
« on: February 18, 2007, 05:09:49 PM »
I use two 1500s, one with Progressive Engineering tube tape preamp. One has a nasty whining sound on fast wind. I've sourced the noise to the large roller between the record and play heads. It appears to need a special spanner wrench to get to the bearing for lubrication/inspection. Wonder if any forum members have had problems with this roller. I only hear the noise on fast wind, not on play.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: noisy mechanicals on fast wind on technics 1500 decks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 07:05:34 PM »
Hi Rich,

Are you sure that's where it's coming from? The reason I ask is that we've found it very common for RS1500s to shriek like a banshee in fast wind. We traced the problem to the belt for the tape counter, that's running over a nylon pulley about 1" down and 3" inboard of the tape counter display. A beltectomy with dykes is the approved field expedient - particularly if you're at CES and people are looking at you like you're dismembering a live cat whenever you rewind. I'm sure replacement belts are easy to find, and I'll hook folks up once I source them.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 09:33:50 PM »
Hi Doc B.
I held the roller with my hand while it was on fast wind and the cat like whining ceased. I am going to take the back off and try taking the belt off. Thanks for the advice.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 11:30:19 PM »
That problem you had at CES gave me a pretty good visual. " HOW MUCH ARE THEY?"" WHAT?" "HOW MUCH ARE THE TAPES?" " I CAN'T HEAR,..HEY COME BACK! I'M READY TO DEMO THIS MORTON SUBBOTNICK TAPE! As far as the belts, there was a guy on Ebay that had them for $15 bucks I think but that seems kinda steep. I've always gotten belt kits (like for the f44 the 3 belts were $10 I think) from Vintage Electronics. I bet repair guys get them for just about nothing.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:29:08 AM »
Hi Doc B.
I held the roller with my hand while it was on fast wind and the cat like whining ceased. I am going to take the back off and try taking the belt off. Thanks for the advice.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon

Rich,

The tape counter is driven from the reversing idler (that's the roller at the bottom of the head assembly) via two belts inside the transport. The part that has been the source of our noise problems is the pulley where the first belt drives the second belt. This is all very easy to see with the back removed. A little lubrication on that pulley shaft should be all it needs.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 11:50:29 AM »
Paul is of course right, it's the pulley on it's spindle that makes the noise. Should have clarified that we cut the belts as the instant solution during a demo. I have a couple of shriekers here. Pretty soon I'll get into that pulley and see if cleaning and lube will take care of it, or if it gets worn enough that we need to find a substitute. Replacing the belts while you're in there is probably good PM.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Re: noisy mechanicals on fast wind- thanks, that did the trick....
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 11:50:35 PM »
Thanks Doc.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon

Offline headlap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:27 PM »
Hello All,

I would like to offer a cure that worked for my shrieking RS-1500. As everyone has realized it is indeed the pulley driving the counter that causes the problem.
Here's what I did to cure it.

1)Once locating the offending pulley I CAREFULLY removed the c-clip holding the pulley to the shaft and GINGERLY unthreaded the belts from said pulley.
2)I obtained a precision lubricator from Radio Shack that contains teflon based lubricant. You can find this in any Radio Shack it looks like a clear plastic pen.
   A couple of drops in the shaft will do, you don't need much.
3)Apply some NO-SLIP belt dressing to the belts.
4)Put the pulley back on and rethread the belts(a bit fiddly but can be done)
5)Put the small c-clip back on
6)Enjoy peace and quiet during FF and RR.

I have used this cure my myself and it is very effective and does not harm the machine in any way. The best part is the repair lasts for years.

I know this is an old post, but I thought someone might still find usefull.

Thanks
Turntable:Denon DP-47F Cartridge:Shure M97xE Receiver:Technics SA-EX140 R2R:Technics RS-1500us CD Player:Technics SL-PD 887 Speakers:Bose 201 Series IV