Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Tape Project tapes  (Read 7924 times)

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
Tape Project tapes
« on: February 18, 2007, 05:40:54 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been addressed, but can you tell me what tape stock is to be used for your releases? Can a customer specify what stock is to be used for a release? I'm assuming you use RMGI, but just asking to be sure. Craig
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tape Project tapes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 12:18:52 AM »
Craig,

We will be duplicating on RMGI 468, at least to start.

It would be prohibitively expensive to make a subscriber's tapes on any tape stock other than the one we're set up for. But we aim to please. If someone prefers a different stock and is willing to pay the premium...
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:10:31 PM »
Is RMGI a low or high bias tape?

Bob Williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 08:11:45 PM »
High bias. Here's a menu of data sheets for RMGI tapes; http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/datasheets.html US recording media is also a great place to buy other tape related supplies and tools. I keep mentioning these guys but there may be cheaper places to buy RMGI tape. It's just that it's kind of a 1 stop for all kinds of tape stuff.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline dwilawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 03:51:53 PM »
High bias. Here's a menu of data sheets for RMGI tapes; http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/datasheets.html US recording media is also a great place to buy other tape related supplies and tools. I keep mentioning these guys but there may be cheaper places to buy RMGI tape. It's just that it's kind of a 1 stop for all kinds of tape stuff.

Steve,

I agree, I have been doing business with them for 10 years.  They are a nice handy 1 stop shop for everything and they are very nice to deal with.  I try to buy local when I can here in Austin, there is a place that supplys all of the studios here in town, but when I need to buy misc. stuff they are a great go to place.  Their head cleaner is top notch and the stuff folks should use instead of alcohol.

Travis

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »
Good point Travis. I like to support our local guys too. I think it's much more important than saving a few pennies.There's nothing like being able to put your hands on a piece of gear or developing a relationship. My local vinyl dealer knows what I like so now when he hands me a new release ands says I gotta have it, I try not to see what it is. I just pay,.. take it home, and put a side (at this point I don't know which side) on the tt and play it. It's usually jazz, but it could be classical, bluegrass,.. I haven't looked for a local RMGI dealer yet but, I've only bought a couple so far.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades