Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: CES 2009  (Read 10740 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
CES 2009
« on: December 11, 2008, 01:48:09 PM »
We're making our plans for CES this week. First and foremost, Paul is expecting to receive some fresh 1" tape and some master tapes this week, so he will be making some running masters of our first few Series Two releases this weekend. We plan to announce these titles and to play a few samples at CES, where we will be showing once again in the TAD/Pioneer Home Audio room.

Also we are attempting to pull together a modded Otari MX-5050 BII 2 to demo with a Tube Repro. With a couple of weeks left to complete it will be a bit of a push, but after pulling together our VSAC 2008 system (18 amps, three crossovers and a pair of 6 driver speakers) in three weeks it does not seem insurmountable.

Rumor has it that a few other CES exhibitors will once again be rolling Tape Project tapes as well.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Re: CES 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »
New titles! yummie.

In relation with the Otari this is cheaper than what we had seen earlier:

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=MX5050BIII

Xavier Cortes

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:16:24 PM »
I'll take Doc's instead ... better product with his mods. :)
Oddly the only thing a need is some shims ... do you have any left Doc?
and a bunch of 7" plastic reels to replace the bent ones on some of my
pre-recorded tapes.

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:48:31 AM »
Doc, any idea how much longer the Series One tapes will be available? I am trying desperately to scrape enough together to get a selective subscription, and I want to know how much more time I have to do so. Thanks.
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
Glorious!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »
Doc,
This is some GREAT news.  Just what I was hoping to hear.  I will be at CES this year, with bells on.  Last year I was there, but didn't even know about the Tape Project.  I "discovered" it while I was there in Winston Ma's FIM room last January. 

Hopefully, I will get to meet some of you guys finally in person.

Wow, if you get that Otari together there, that would be AWESOME!  I am up to 6 of them myself, and would like to see what type of mods you have come up with for them.  My stock Otari with head out wiring through the Seduction is very nice indeed.

Are you guys going to be at the Venetian again?  Any insider tips on what other rooms may be having open reel decks or TP tapes?  FIM again?

Thanks, Joel
Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 07:31:01 PM »
Hi Craig,

I would say we have about 60 or 70 copies of each album left on most licenses.

Hi Joel,

Yes, we will be in the TAD room at the Venetian again. I am not sure who all will be using tape machines at CES. We offered several loaners at the first couple shows to get things started, but we now rely upon exhibitors having their own machines. The studio machines we brought in the past are very busy doing their regular jobs in the duping and cutting room this year. I believe that Kubala-Sosna will have a machine, and On a Higher Note will have a machine. And I am pretty sure EAR USA will have a machine. Jeff Jacobs is also taking a room this year. I imagine there will also be others, as quite a few manufacturers have acquired machines and tapes in the past year.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 10:02:53 AM »
Thanks Doc!  See you there.....

Joel
Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline Mario D.

• View Profile
    • Biz
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »
Doc, I hope to get loaner from J-Corder for joint exhibition of KR Audio/Kubala-Sosna/Audio Epilog  in Ventian room 29 218.
If not I would be grateful if you could provide us one.
ReVox PR99 MkIII, Metronome T2i sig, Spectral 30SS, 250, Marten Miles III, Wilson Benesch Torus
Metronome CD5i Sig, ML 32, 33H, EgglestonWorks The Nine
Kubala-Sosna Emotions, MIT/Spectral 350/770 ULII

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 07:49:07 PM »
Hi Mario,

I will not be driving to CES this year, so I'm afraid I will not be able to bring any loaner machines. We don't ship loaners because we have had extremely bad luck in terms of damages and lost equipment if and when the gear is returned.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 09:06:49 PM »
I will not be driving to CES this year, so I'm afraid I will not be able to bring any loaner machines.

I heard that you're skiing at least halfway down! I guess you must be dreaming about spending some time in the desert about now.
Hey, what about Joe Kubala? He must have that Otari running right by now?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 09:15:55 PM »
If he doesn't have the Otari running by now, I can help him perhaps on site.  I have 6 of them on-hand and will be there!  Yuk-yuk!  :)
Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline Mario D.

• View Profile
    • Biz
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
Hi Mario,

I will not be driving to CES this year, so I'm afraid I will not be able to bring any loaner machines. We don't ship loaners because we have had extremely bad luck in terms of damages and lost equipment if and when the gear is returned.

Sorry to hear that, I was looking forward playing your tapes.
ReVox PR99 MkIII, Metronome T2i sig, Spectral 30SS, 250, Marten Miles III, Wilson Benesch Torus
Metronome CD5i Sig, ML 32, 33H, EgglestonWorks The Nine
Kubala-Sosna Emotions, MIT/Spectral 350/770 ULII