Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Collection of Tapes  (Read 17667 times)

Offline sandman

• View Profile
Collection of Tapes
« on: January 04, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »
Hi all,
thought this might be of some interest.  I recently acquired a HUGE collection of pre-recorded tapes approximately 4000+.  Mostly classical.  Very large B-C collection as well.  I will begin the tedious process of cataloging the collection when I return from CES, I have had it for several months, but have just been to interested in listening to it.  Here are some pictures.  I can tell you this, there are some incredible treasures in this collection.  I have spent countless hours listening to these and have concluded that there is not a more musical format.  Simply amazing how good they can be.
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/kriskosiba/Tapes/DSCN3277.jpg
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/kriskosiba/Tapes/DSCN3276.jpg
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/kriskosiba/Tapes/DSCN3275.jpg
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/kriskosiba/Tapes/DSCN3274.jpg

Kris

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Collection of Tapes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:56:28 AM »
Yikes! That's one hell of an buy Kris. Is there a story behind the collection? Was it privately owned etc.?
Just so you know, it's best to store your tapes in a cool environment with middle to low moisture. Sudden changes in either is bad too. Maybe this is old news to you but I'd hate to see such a nice collection have problems with mold or the like.
I have to agree with you about the almost magical quality of a nice performance on reel to reel. If I have a good tape of a recording, my vinyl version doesn't get much attention.
Enjoy those tapes and be sure to let us know which one is your favorite in about 10 years!
Welcome to the forum.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline sandman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »
Hi,
Thanks.  Yes this was part of a private collection.  There were actually about 1000 more.  These were owned by an older gentleman who was moving and didn't listen to them much anymore, so decided it wasn't worth the trouble to try to bring them.  They were his lifes collection dating back to the fifties.  As far as storage, They are in a basement who's mean temp is about 60-65, with lower humidity.   One thing I have definitely found is that by in large rock music as a whole is not even close to the jazz and classical in recording quality in both 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips.  Its sad really. 

Kris

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:32:51 AM »
WOW!!! what a great collection!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »
Kris, I don't know how much experience you have with magnetic tape but there are some resources regarding the care and feeding of them as well as your tape machine. These are located at the top of the General Forum in stickies (a Beginners guide and a list of links). Pay particular attention to the section regarding older acetate tapes since these are very delicate and require careful handling to avoid breaking. These were also made during a time in which reel to reel tape was considered an elite medium and were produced with pride and can sound fantastic.
It's too bad that many of the rock recordings were made to such a low standard. I don't have very many in my collection for this same reason. Every once in a while I do find a real gem but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule. If you come across some of these "gems" in your listening, I would really appreciate it if you'd list them here. Hmm, actually, I think I'll start a separate thread for all the members to list them.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline sandman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the sticky thread.  I have gotten a decent crash course on tape care, but this really helped explain the "why" in the maintenance.  One thing that piqued my interest was on the calibration of the machine itself.  I have a Pioneer RT-701, which I find to be a well made machine, but the electronics I feel are old, and really have no reference or baseline of operation.  I am waiting on a custom tube head amp(can't wait for that:) But it begs the question, that while I am not really concerned with updating the internal audio electronics, who repairs and services the mechanicals of these machines that truly still "knows" how to work on these machines. thanks.Kris

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »
Well sticky tapes are easy to deal with ... * TOSS *
My problem is turning out to be warped reels ... sigh.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »
Kris, if you give us your location, one of the members may be able to help you out finding a good tech. Those 700 series machines seem like a pretty good choice for listening to 7" reels. A few of the other members here have them for that purpose. It's a good idea to get a service manual to take with you since some techs won't have one for your particular machine. I'm sure it would be easy enough to buy one from someone like Stereomanuals.com. You might find that there are only service manuals for the 707 but I believe it's the same except it has auto reverse too. If you have a tough time finding a good local shop, your machine isn't huge or heavy so sending it out wouldn't be so tough either. These guys are a little pricey but they do specialize in machines like yours. If you feel like it's worth it, they can go over the whole thing and get it running like new.
http://www.reelprosoundguys.com/productservice.html
I don't have any personal experience with them but I've heard they do nice work (for whatever that's worth).
Ben, I feel your pain regarding whacked out reels. If I adjust my reel tables so the tape winds exactly in the middle of the hub, then about 10% of my tapes rub the flange. I sure wish I could find a stash of low torque (big hub) plastic 7" reels out there.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:36:45 PM »
Here are a few of the large hub 7" available on Ebay...
 item # 270305260818
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »
Very confusing just what is for sale there.
For now any dud tapes with good reels ...  toss the tape, keep the reel.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:32:40 PM by Ben »
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »
Very confusing just what is for sale there.
For now any dud tapes with good reels ...  toss the tape, keep the reel.

Seems straightforward to me...
10 large hub 7" reels for $9.95 buy it now + $7 shipping to the US.
Last I looked they had 3 more available lots of 10.
They apparently carry other tape supplies in their store too.
Steve Williams

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 12:35:11 PM »
Yeah, thanks Steve, I've got 20 on their way to me  now. I don't know about that wooden splicing block though. I guess I shouldn't say unless I've tried one though. Maybe the razor blades wouldn't get dull quite so fast?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:05:00 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 02:09:08 PM »
I bought one lot of 10 myself.
I presume these are left over new old stock and so not suitable in quantity for the TP test tape.
I have seen from other threads that these are not being made now.
Steve Williams

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 07:42:32 AM »
What a great collection!!

Let me know if you plan on selling any of the 2 track tapes.

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »
I received the plastic 7" low torque empty reels and they appear to be left over stock perhaps from a tape duplication factory. They may have had labels on them at one time but I can't say for sure. They aren't quite as deluxe as the RMGI reels I have but they appear to be well made. A few have some surface scratches and one (out of 20) has a small crack in it. Overall, I'd say that if you might see the need to have some of these low torque (big hub) 7" reels, they are well worth the price which is very low. Thanks again Steve for hooking us up with these.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades