Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Collection of Tapes  (Read 17253 times)

Offline sandman

• View Profile
Re: Collection of Tapes
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
hi all,  I just got back from CES, and was very pleased to see that there were quite a few people playing tape.  I also was able to go to the J-corder room which was interesting.  Some beatiful technics in there.  In regards to selling some of the 2 tracks, I actually may look at selling off some of my doubles, triples, etc.  I counted right at 600 Barclay Crocker recordings alone.  of which there are quite a few doubles.  I will start getting a list together.

Kris

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:23 PM »
I assume all BC tapes are Dolby.  If you have any non-encoded tapes I might
consider buying some too.
BTW while OT, does anybody know what Digital Dolby is? You see that everywhere
on dvd's and here I thought digital was the perfect medium for no noise.

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »
Dolby is a large company which has some of it's operations based in San Francisco. It is named after Ray Dolby (who I actually met once !)
They started off making various forms of noise reduction first for studios, then for consumer goods. Dolby A, B, C etc.
They have branched out into other areas.
Dolby Digital  AKA AC3 is a digital codec for the storage of  6 channels of audio that is commonly used for both theater sound and on home DVDs in the familiar 5.1 format. It is not a noise reduction system as such.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »
Grumbles ... I just want stereo for my TV and movies.
I really wonder how much sound quality is lost in digital processing
your sound for your home theatre speaker set up.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
Regarding the Barclay-Crocker releases, they are all either Dolby B encoded or dBx encoded. The dBx ones were done fairly late in their catalog and were also released with Dolby. They never did release any non-encoded tapes. The other variables you'll find is a few were recorded digitally and while the early digital vinyl was just awful (like Denon PCM) these aren't that bad. Another format difference is that there's a handful of BCs that are unidirectional. That is, even though they're still 1/4 track tapes, they were recorded in one direction only (tails out).
These are recordings with unusually wide dynamics and they did these tapes this way to avoid crosstalk.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline reel zealot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
One correction to the last posting.  In the last couple years, B-C converted to dBx encoding at a time when they believed there still was a market.  The first release was a release of previously released Dolby B encoded tapes.  After that, their tapes were only done in dBx, not both.  You don't see these very often has only a few were released and they soon stopped production and closed.
A few tapes were done as a unidirectional tape, but these, too, were encoded and, not really a different format as they, too, were 4 track.
Glenn Yoritomo

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 01:35:05 AM »
I didn't realize that they released dBx only recordings. Maybe just the last couple? I know of maybe 10 or so that I've got with Dolby B but for the most part, I pass over the dBx releases and I've never really kept up with them. I think that dBx was the last gasp of a few reel to reel efforts. I never liked the pumping (especially on headphones).
We do get a visit here from time to time from one of the guys that worked for them in their production facilities.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Kenkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 08:31:16 AM »
There were 2 types of DBX if I recall correctly. DBX Pro which is what I have on my Tascam TSR 8 and my Teac X2000r does not suffer from the pumping sound. I prefer it over Dolby. The DBX consumer version was known for its pumping. I have never owned anything with the conusmer version of DBX, so I don't know how bad the pumping can be. But I hear it sucks.  I wonder which kind of DBX encoders were used on the BC tapes???

Ken
Ken Kirkpatrick
Cat Ultimate preamp, Basis Debut Vacuum, Basis Vector tonearm, Urishi,Walker motor drive, Cat JL-1 amps, Sony XA9000Es SACD, Wadia 860,Yamaha CT 7000, Nak Dragon, RX 505, 2 REL Stentor II's, Sonus Faber Amati's, Cardas Golden Cross and Siltec cables, Otari MX 5050 B III, Teac X2000R

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
Hi Ken, if I recall correctly, it was the 122/124 consumer level ones so it wasn't the multi band ones like studios used (that minimized the pumping). I had a 122 back in the 70's when I had an A77 and although I never had any commercially produced dBx tapes, I used it for live recording and compilation tapes (from lp) and I gave up on it and converted my machine to 1/2 track (which was expensive even back then).
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline reel zealot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »
It was the dbx II.  I don't recall the pumping, but haven't listened to them in a while.  When I get a chance, I'll list the dbx only ones.  They were on the Philips, Quintessence and Pro Arte labels.  And, yes this was the last gas.  The only others I know that were done in dbx II were from Direct-to-Tape Recordings, who also dubed in 1:1 format, but I believe it was done on consumer recorders.
Glenn Yoritomo