TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Rock/Pop-"The Best Of,.." Thread  (Read 23187 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Rock/Pop-"The Best Of,.." Thread
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »
I want to start this thread for members to list good sounding tapes that they've acquired that lie outside of the jazz and classical genres. Anyone who's been collecting tapes for any time will know that the sound on these range from very good to downright dismal. This is a real shame IMHO. Even though my music collection is heavily jazz and classical, there are plenty of rock albums that I'd love to have on tape and have deep personal significance.
I can recall a moment when the importance of some of these songs really struck home for me. It was 1979 and I was at the movies, popcorn in hand, and the film Apocalypse Now started. It probably took 2 notes on the guitar before I knew that the opening song was "The End" by the Doors. Goose bump time! That opening song, in that context, had such deep meaning to me that I could write a book about it. I think that many of us have had these moments. Songs that are like the title of a chapter in our lives.

One thing that I've found with these tapes is that some of the slower speed (3 3/4 ips) can be pretty nice. Not great, but they can still display that rich, textured midrange that tape is so good at. Of course at this speed the frequency extension and tape hiss will never be as good as if it had been made at 7 1/2 ips, but when the music is engaging, you don't really hear that after the first couple of beats. But, if the tape you're listing is at that speed, be sure to list it.
I'll start this out with a few of mine.

Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced
This tape is pretty worn on side one. With Purple Haze, Manic Depression, and Hey Joe being cuts 1,2 and 3  that's not too surprising. But really, it should be. It's not like a record which only comes in contact with the stylus on the side you're playing. The tape is moving across the 1/4 track head which spans the entire tape width so this tape may have been played on a machine whose heads were worn to the point that the gaps were opening up and damaging just those tracks. That one for the tape detectives. All I know is that side two is fair-good sounding. I need to get my hands on some original vinyl of this but if memory serves me, this seems like a different mix from the one I'm used to. That could totally be my imagination though. So, if you can find a copy of this one that hasn't been trashed and thrashed, it's well worth it. Be advised that it is one of those fine Bell and Howell products and I haven't got a clue as far as the tape that it's recorded on (the back says American tape) as far as problems this tape is prone to.
Reprise RST 6261-C

Joan Baez/5
This is an early acetate that I got still sealed. It's on Vanguard/Stereolab and while from time to time, her voice is causing some hardness during peaks somewhere in the production line, the sound goes from good to very good. The recording was obviously done with minimalist mic techniques. Maybe even a single stereo mic as you can hear her move in and out and around the pattern. This was the in thing to do during live performances with folk singers at the time but sometimes this can get a little annoying on headphones. A good sounding tape with lots of charm and emotion.
I find that Vanguard tapes in general are very well made and stand the test of time well. Produced by Ampex on acetate (at least the copy I have).
Vanguard Stereolab VTC 1696

The Blues Project-A Compendium of the Very Best on the Urban Blues Scene 3 3/4 ips
This is not a recording of the band "The Blues Project" but does include songs by the guitarist Danny Kalb who played in that band and latter with Eric Burden and the Animals ( the album "Projections" by the band Blues Project is excellent BTW with my favorite version of " You Can't Catch Me" on it). This tape is similar to the Baez one in that it is also recorded in a minimalist way and produced on Ampex acetate. It is surprisingly good sounding for a slow speed tape but since most of the songs are just one or two guitars and a single vocalist, it doesn't exactly require much headroom and the frequency band is pretty limited. There is one cut with a washboard bass (I think) that's a little out of focus and off to the side but the eight different performers on the 16 cuts have all got that raw energy thing going. If Americana is your thing, I think you and Harry Smith will love it.
Electra Records EKX 7264

Well, you'll notice that I wouldn't grade the sound on any of these to be excellent or demo quality, but all the same, they do get plenty of listening time at my house.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Re: Rock/Pop-"The Best Of,.." Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »
My collection of prerecorded rock tapes can be counted on the fingers of two hands, while I have about 100 classical (more if you count multiple reels). Most of my rock collection was dubbed from LP's.  Also, I haven't listened to the few that I have in a long time, so can't vouch for them (although this thread is a good reason to do so).

Once that was recorded, has interesting music (still interesting, that is, after 35 years) and still is in good shape - no dreaded sticky shed - is Jesse Colin Young's Song for Juli, also a Stereotape production. I played this a couple of weeks ago for someone who wanted to know what kind of music I listened to in college.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Another One - "This Is The Moody Blues"
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »
Published in 1974, and manufactured by Ampex.  A double play greatest hits compilation but done with good quality control. Listening to it right now, so far no hint of the dreaded sticky shed. Sound is excellent. 7.5 ips with Dolby B encoding.

The Moodies were certainly a terrific band. Hard to believe they are not yet in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Another One - "This Is The Moody Blues"
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
The Moodies were certainly a terrific band. Hard to believe they are not yet in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
I didn't realize that! Not that I keep up with that sort of thing but I'd have to suspect some sort of political, behind the scenes kinda shenanigans goin' on there. They always seemed like one of those bands that were really interested in the sound of they were getting. Some of Justin Hayward's solo stuff was really nice too.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:09:23 AM »
I may have mentioned it before, but the "Belafonte at Carnegie Hall" on RCA is one of the very finest prerecorded R2R that I have ever heard. The vinyl is great too. Also I like all of the Joan Baez albums I have on R2R, both Vanguard and Barcly-Crocker.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline magaoidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:01:30 PM »
I have a collection of tapes that I bought in the 70's and 80's.A lot of pop tapes were poorly copied but, I have a list of tapes which I believe to be among the finest.
  Hope these help.The list is based on the performance and the recording quality.In my opinion!
  Frank Chacksfield-New York. LON 74141.
  Judy Collins-Colors Of The Day. EST75030.
  Creedence Clearwater-Gold. FAN9418.
  Dawn-Candida. BEL6052.
  Neil Diamond-Hot August Night. MCA8000.
  Al Hirt-Best of vol.1 RCA3309.
  Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road MCA10003.
  The Moody Blues-nearly all of them,3 3/4ips excluded.
  Hugo Montenegro-Love Theme From The Godfather. RCA0001.
  Olivia Newton-John-Let Me Be There. MCA389.
    ditto                 -If You Love Me Let Know MCA411
  Randy Newman-Sail Away. RST2064.
  Peter,Paul and Mary-Self titled.WST1449.
  Jimmie Rodgers-Child Of Clay.AM4130
  Paul Simon-Self titled.COL30750
  Seals and Crofts-Diamond Girl WST2699
  Carly Simon-No Secrets. EST75049
  Frank Sinatra-The Main Event.RST2207
  Cat Stevens-Teaser and The Firecat. AM4313
  James Taylor-One Man Dog.WST2660
        ditto     -Sweet Baby James WST1843 
        ditto     -Greatest Hits. WST2979-C.

Geoff McGee

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 06:12:51 PM »
Hi Geoff, welcome to the forum. I've come close to getting "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" a couple of times but always lost in the end. I've seen that one in 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips. I'm glad to see that "Sail Away" made it to reel to reel. I can't recall ever seeing that one for sale.
It's shame that so many great albums were done in such a shoddy manner in the first place. And then the tape duplication was pretty poor too. I can just here them saying "Heck, nobody buys these things anymore anyway! So that's a big NO on replacing those heads on the dup line."
But there are some real gems that slipped through somehow and it's great to hear from all the guys with collections, what to search for and which ones might make fine landfill material.
There's a few that I've tried to get more than once and failed but without knowing if their dogs or not really puts a damper on my bidding. One is the first couple of albums by "The Band", Music From Big Pink, and The Band. Another couple are albums by the band "Spirit". I really wore out a couple of their LP's and I always take a shot at getting their tapes (great band to see in concert back in the day). So if anyone has any, I'd love to hear what you think.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline reel zealot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:57:08 PM »
My favorite Rock/Pop tapes are (the list is long...quite a few favorites):
- Joan Baez: Blessed Are (Ampex/7 1/2ips edition and Quad/Dolby Vanguard edition)
- Joan Baez: Ballad Book  (B-C/Dolby)
- Joan Baez: Noel (B-C/Dolby)
- Beatles: Abbey Road (Ampex/7 1/2)
- Beatles: Sargent Pepper (Ampex/7 1/2)
- George Benson: Breezin' (Stereotape/Dolby 7 1/2 edition)
- Judy Collins: Who Knows Where the Goes (Ampex/ 7 1/2)
- Jim Croce: You Don't Mess Around with Jim (GRT/7 1/2)
- C,S,N&Y: 4 Way Street (Ampex/7 1/2)
- John Denver: Greatest Hits (Stereotape/Dolby 7 1/2)
- Neil Diamond: Hot August Night (Magtec/ 7 1/2)
- Doobie Brothers: Best (Steretape/Dolby 7 1/2)
- Eagles: Long Run (Columbia House/ 3 3/4 clear reel)
- Roberta Flack: Killing Me Softly (Magtec/ 7 1/2)
- Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac and Rumors (Stereotape/ Dolby 7 1/2)
- Benny Goodman: Live at Carnegie Hall (Reel Society/ Dolby 7 1/2)
- Keith Jarrett: Koln Concerts
- Jefferson Starship: Red Octopus
- Billy Joe: Songs in the Attic (Col House/ 3 3/4 clear reel)
- Elton John: Yellow Brick Road (Stereotape/ 7 1/2)
- Gordon Lightfoot: Cold on the Shoulder (Stereotape Quad Dolby)
 - Joni Mitchell: Blue (Sterotape/Reissued 7 1/2 ips edition)
- Moody Blues (all 7 1/2 and quad)
- Seals & Croft: Get Closer (Stereotape/Dolby 7 1/2)
- Simon and Garfunkel: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme (7 1/2)
- Rod Stewart: A Night on the Town (Stereotape/Dolby)
- James Taylor: Flag (Columbia House/unmarked 7 1/2)
- James Taylor: Sweet Baby James (Stereotape/ 7 1/2 edition)
- James Taylor: In the Pocket (Stereotape/Dolby)
- Who: Tommy (Decca/ 7 1/2)
- Jesus Christ Superstar (Decca/ 7 1/2)
- Gary Wright: Dream Weaver and Light of Smiles (Stereotape/Dolby)
- Neil Young: Harvest (Stereotape/ 7 1/2)
- Original Cast: Company
- Original Cast: Fantasticks
- Original Cast: Sweeny Todd
- Original Cast: Side by Side

I mention the manufacturer and speed only because Columbia House offered many of these tapes at 3 3/4 depending on the timeframe. Additionally, Stereotape re-released several 3 3/4 tapes at 7 1/2ips late in their life.

Glenn
Glenn Yoritomo

Offline magaoidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 02:29:01 AM »
Hi Geoff, welcome to the forum. I've come close to getting "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" a couple of times but always lost in the end. I've seen that one in 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips. I'm glad to see that "Sail Away" made it to reel to reel. I can't recall ever seeing that one for sale.
It's shame that so many great albums were done in such a shoddy manner in the first place. And then the tape duplication was pretty poor too. I can just here them saying "Heck, nobody buys these things anymore anyway! So that's a big NO on replacing those heads on the dup line."
But there are some real gems that slipped through somehow and it's great to hear from all the guys with collections, what to search for and which ones might make fine landfill material.
There's a few that I've tried to get more than once and failed but without knowing if their dogs or not really puts a damper on my bidding. One is the first couple of albums by "The Band", Music From Big Pink, and The Band. Another couple are albums by the band "Spirit". I really wore out a couple of their LP's and I always take a shot at getting their tapes (great band to see in concert back in the day). So if anyone has any, I'd love to hear what you think.
      Thanks mate,I am in OZ,Sail Away is 3 3/4ips but the brass/wind section arrangements are v.g. a fascinating album,well recorded,his other album Good Old Boys in Quad is also a ripper!The postage today is a killer,so bidding for me is only half of the deal???
Geoff McGee

Offline magaoidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:35:31 AM »
My favorite Rock/Pop tapes are (the list is long...quite a few favorites):
- Joan Baez: Blessed Are (Ampex/7 1/2ips edition and Quad/Dolby Vanguard edition)
- Joan Baez: Ballad Book  (B-C/Dolby)
- Joan Baez: Noel (B-C/Dolby)
- Beatles: Abbey Road (Ampex/7 1/2)
- Beatles: Sargent Pepper (Ampex/7 1/2)
- George Benson: Breezin' (Stereotape/Dolby 7 1/2 edition)
- Judy Collins: Who Knows Where the Goes (Ampex/ 7 1/2)
- Jim Croce: You Don't Mess Around with Jim (GRT/7 1/2)
- C,S,N&Y: 4 Way Street (Ampex/7 1/2)
- John Denver: Greatest Hits (Stereotape/Dolby 7 1/2)
- Neil Diamond: Hot August Night (Magtec/ 7 1/2)
- Doobie Brothers: Best (Steretape/Dolby 7 1/2)
- Eagles: Long Run (Columbia House/ 3 3/4 clear reel)
- Roberta Flack: Killing Me Softly (Magtec/ 7 1/2)
- Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac and Rumors (Stereotape/ Dolby 7 1/2)
- Benny Goodman: Live at Carnegie Hall (Reel Society/ Dolby 7 1/2)
- Keith Jarrett: Koln Concerts
- Jefferson Starship: Red Octopus
- Billy Joe: Songs in the Attic (Col House/ 3 3/4 clear reel)
- Elton John: Yellow Brick Road (Stereotape/ 7 1/2)
- Gordon Lightfoot: Cold on the Shoulder (Stereotape Quad Dolby)
 - Joni Mitchell: Blue (Sterotape/Reissued 7 1/2 ips edition)
- Moody Blues (all 7 1/2 and quad)
- Seals & Croft: Get Closer (Stereotape/Dolby 7 1/2)
- Simon and Garfunkel: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme (7 1/2)
- Rod Stewart: A Night on the Town (Stereotape/Dolby)
- James Taylor: Flag (Columbia House/unmarked 7 1/2)
- James Taylor: Sweet Baby James (Stereotape/ 7 1/2 edition)
- James Taylor: In the Pocket (Stereotape/Dolby)
- Who: Tommy (Decca/ 7 1/2)
- Jesus Christ Superstar (Decca/ 7 1/2)
- Gary Wright: Dream Weaver and Light of Smiles (Stereotape/Dolby)
- Neil Young: Harvest (Stereotape/ 7 1/2)
- Original Cast: Company
- Original Cast: Fantasticks
- Original Cast: Sweeny Todd
- Original Cast: Side by Side

I mention the manufacturer and speed only because Columbia House offered many of these tapes at 3 3/4 depending on the timeframe. Additionally, Stereotape re-released several 3 3/4 tapes at 7 1/2ips late in their life.

Glenn

Mate your taste is good,I meant to put in Fleetwood Mac and Rumours,those Beatles tapes were supposedly better by the original manufacturer did you get them recently?
Geoff McGee

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 06:56:19 AM »
The tapes that I have that sound the best are:

The Beatles (All of the ones by Capitol that say) (Capitol Full Dimensional Stereo)
Joe Cocker (Mad Dogs & Englishmen) A & M Or-6002
Led Zeppelin (III) Atlantic M7201
Eric Clapton (At His Best) Polydor POL-L 3503
Elton John (Greatest Hits) MCA Records MCAS 2128-A

I have a few others, but those stand out to me.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Excellent posts guys! Now we're getting somewhere.
The original idea of this thread was to help all of us who collect tapes to have some idea which ones would be worth the high bids it sometimes takes to win them. I hope that the posts continue as more members discover this thread. Of course, a lot depends on the condition of a particular tape but I've found that most of these come up for sale fairly often.
So, keep em coming! I think we have a pretty good cross section of musical tastes so far but there's so much stuff out there that I'm sure we can get a lot more.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline reel zealot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 09:19:11 PM »

Mate your taste is good,I meant to put in Fleetwood Mac and Rumours,those Beatles tapes were supposedly better by the original manufacturer did you get them recently?
They're pretty good, but I won't necessarily call them better. Like Ampex, Capitol tapes seem to very in quality.  However, Capitol never released all Beatles albums at 7 1/2. For a very short time, all Beatles albums were available from Ampex at 7 1/2ips. After the first few, Capitol switched to 3 3/4 for all reel releases even classical.  After a second listen some 20years later, they sound better than I recall, but not as good as the 7 1/2 tapes.  Loss of high end.
Glenn Yoritomo

Offline magaoidh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »
I have just bought Blood Sweat and Tears on Columbia and South of The Border ,Herb Alpert on A&M,both tapes are great its a matter of taste.Spinning Wheel is special.
 Geoff
Geoff McGee

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 01:14:33 AM »
Guatanamera by The Sandpipers is a nice change of pace is what I  found . Down Mexico Way by The 50 guitars of Tommy Garret really reminds you how dynamic music
out side of the USA can be.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player