Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: splitoff from Beginners Guide to Tape Recorder Basics  (Read 8500 times)

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
splitoff from Beginners Guide to Tape Recorder Basics
« on: November 02, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »
Step two ... Cuss at the machine, if you are using a PLAYBACK only machine
or in my case, the inputs are NOT connected to the PCB's.
Step three ... Cuss at IRONBUT for expecting to have quality sound from a CD. ;)

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »
I have a Harmon Kardon Citation 1 pre-amp with a tape head input.  I would like to know where the Turnover and Rolloff settings should be set to get proper IEC equalization.

The Turnover settings are:  Tape (NAB), 800 (RCA), RIAA, LP, AES (Columbia) & 78.

The Rolloff settings are: 0/Flat (RCA), -4/78 (FFRR), -10.5/Lon, -12/AES (Columbia), -14/RIAA & -16/LP.

Playback of NAB tapes, and adjusting for stereo and mono vinyl playback is pretty straightforward, but I am not sure where to set them for IEC.

Any advice would be helpful.

TIA, David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:43:21 PM »
Hi David, your Citation is only set up for NAB and not IEC (yet). The NAB is the closest eq and I'm sure it could be modified to switch between NAB and IEC. Have you looked at the mod of the Seduction on the Bottlehead site. If you read through it, you'll see that even a ham handed know nothing like me could do the work. You need to find out the values for the Citation though. If you can isolate the caps and resistors in the NAB eq you might try posting them here and see if anyone can help you.
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Seduction/bottleheadtapeheadpreamp.htm
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:46:47 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline sound signal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »
Hi David,

I have a Harman Kardon Citation 1 pre-amp with a tape head input.  I would like to know where the Turnover and Rolloff settings should be set to get proper IEC equalization.

I am going by a Harman Kardon Citation schematic I found online.  It would be easier if I could verify the positions of the Turnover switch on the schematic against the preamp itself.  It would help a lot if you could verify that in the schematic linked above, the Turnover switch is, as I suspect, actually set to Tape.  If you want to, whip the covers off, have a look at the actual switch, compare to the switch as drawn on the schematic and let us all know where it's actually switched on the schematic.

Anyway if I read the schematic right and my guess of the switch position is correct, you can make the following mods:

R13, R137: 1k2 (was 2k4)
R19, R136: 2k7 (was 1k6)

If you then switch Turnover to Tape, and Rolloff to Flat, you should have the 35us turnover time constant for 15ips IEC tape.

The remaining Turnover switch positions should not be affected, as the sum of the two resistors stays the same, within the tolerances of the components used in this circuit.

This is a small and, I would think, easily reversible mod which can't do any damage.  You can try it and let us all know if it worked out, both in playing 15ips IEC tapes and in correctly maintaining the other characteristics (notably RIAA phono).

The usual disclaimer applies; I am not responsible for physical, mental or other damage to you, your equipment, your home or its contents, your loved ones, pets etc. incurred in the course of following, attempting to follow, considering to follow or deciding not to follow my suggestion.

With best regards,
George Karaolides
Nicosia, Cyprus

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »
Wow, thank you for that information.  I appreciate you doing that.

The only problem is that I use the NAB/Flat positions to play my 7.5ips 2 track tapes, as well as mono records like Westminster's and Angel's.  I don't playback 78's at this time, but I may in the future, so even if it was possible to change values in another position, I don't know what position I could do without. 

I use Russell Fisher's work as a guide: 

http://www.shellac.org/wams/wequal.html

Any more advice you could supply would be greatly appreciated.

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 10:20:02 PM »
Hi David, there were so many eq curves used for 78's that no single setting will give you a curve remotely correct for any label or even different era's of a given label. I suggest that if you do decide to get into 78's that you buy a device solely for that purpose ( there is even a good deal of question what some eq curves were such as Columbia). A pretty reasonable unit is this one offered by Nauck's,..
http://65.36.235.139/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NRC&Product_Code=115.010&Category_Code=115
You would use it in the RIAA phono input of your Citation.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

daryy

wedding dresses
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:44:08 PM »
Many Christian faiths emphasize the raising of children as a priority in a marriage. In Judaism, marriage is so important that remaining unmarried is deemed unnatural.Islam also recommends marriage highly; among other things, it helps in the pursuit of spiritual perfection. casual wedding dresses The Bah?'? Faith sees marriage as a foundation of the structure of society, and considers it both a physical and spiritual bond that endures into the afterlife.[9] Hinduism sees marriage as a sacred duty that entails both religious and social obligations.incorporated into the ceremony. casual wedding dress By contrast, Buddhism does not encourage or discourage marriage, although it does teach how one might live a happily married life and emphasizes that marital vows are not to be taken lightly[citation needed] (see separate article for details).casual wedding gowns Different religions have different beliefs as regards the breakup of marriage (see divorce). For example, the Roman Catholic Church believes that marriage is a sacrament and a valid marriage between two baptized persons cannot be broken by any other means than death.casual wedding gown This means that civil divorc?s cannot remarry in a Catholic marriage while their spouse is alive. In the area of nullity, religions and the state often apply different rules. A couple, for example, may begin the process to have their marriage annulled by the Catholic Church only after they are no longer married in the eyes of the civil authority.casual wedding dresses Most Christian churches give some form of blessing to a marriage; the wedding ceremony typically includes some sort of pledge by the community to support the couple's relationship. A church wedding is a ceremony presided over by a Christian priest or pastor. Ceremonies are based on reference to God, and are frequently embodied into other church ceremonies such as Mass.  Short Casual Wedding Dresses Customs may vary widely between denominations. In the Roman Catholic Church "Holy Matrimony" is considered to be one of the seven sacraments, in this case one that the spouses bestow upon each other in front of a priest and members of the community as witnesses. As all sacraments, it is seen as having been instituted by Jesus himself (see Gospel of Matthew 19:1-2, Catechism of the Catholic Church ?1614-1615). In the Eastern Orthodox church, it is one of the Mysteries, and is seen as an ordination and a martyrdom.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:02:39 AM by daryy »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:35:26 AM »
Hi Daryy, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find this a pretty friendly place full of reel to reel fans on every level of knowledge and experience with this medium. And as long as you're not here to sell golf clubs or something (inside joke) you'll find that most of your questions will be addressed. I would prefer that postings such as this one be done outside of these stickies in an effort to keep them as streamline as possible.
BTW I'm just a fellow member like you so even though I have a lot of postings here, please confuse me with the real moderators here.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

ceved

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:59:31 PM »
I agree with your concerns Steve concerning the content of this thread. 
Can the mederator move postings to more appropriate threads/topics to keep this section more on point to the intended objective?
I would not want to start doing that on a regular basis to other topics, but this section has been worked in very diligently  predominately by Steve, and I would hate to see the impact of the valuable material diluted with postings that might be better served in a different thread.