TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: 2nd series titles  (Read 46174 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: 2nd series titles
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 10:47:28 AM »
I was sitting in the TAD back room yesterday trying to put up all those different prices without the benefit of a quiet place to chart it all out first, so I may well have goofed. Lessee, for renewing subscribers the per tape cost for an album is $250 until Mar 1. So 6 x $250 - oops. Price should be $1500 plus $120 shipping, $1620.

I can see I pretty much blew the whole thing on the Series Two selective pricing, my apologies. I'll get it fixed ASAP.

Edit 9:12 PT
corrections have been made.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:13:00 AM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 12:38:18 PM »
So I am still a little confused, has the price gone up for series two tapes from the $200 price on series one tapes? Plus shipping?

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Kenkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »
So I am still a little confused, has the price gone up for series two tapes from the $200 price on series one tapes? Plus shipping?

Jay

I am confused too. I can't imagine they would not offer original charter subscribers a chance to buy a charter series II for the same price as series one within the 2 month timeframe especially since we still have not received the last two series one charter tapes. 

Ken
Ken Kirkpatrick
Cat Ultimate preamp, Basis Debut Vacuum, Basis Vector tonearm, Urishi,Walker motor drive, Cat JL-1 amps, Sony XA9000Es SACD, Wadia 860,Yamaha CT 7000, Nak Dragon, RX 505, 2 REL Stentor II's, Sonus Faber Amati's, Cardas Golden Cross and Siltec cables, Otari MX 5050 B III, Teac X2000R

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »
I can't imagine they would not offer original charter subscribers a chance to buy a charter series II for the same price as series one

I do.

As much as I don't like paying more I can't argue with their price increase. Dan, Paul and Mike invested a lot in money and time to test a concept and start a business. The concept has proven to be a successful venture and they feel now that they can increase the price substantially (and start making some money) without loosing much volume. I certainly hope they're right and they can count on me to keep buying their tapes.

If after living the Series One experience you feel Series Two is too expensive you can always walk away. And you won't loose much because your series one tapes won't sell for much less than face value.
Xavier Cortes

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »
I am more curious about why the jump from $200 to $300 per tape?
Mind you I have not been pricing cost of tape & reels over the last two years.
BTW ... who would sell a tape anyhow ... I plan to keep mine for life.

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
In my opinion that is a pretty good jump in price, especially for those of us who took the leap of faith to start with. Further more we are talking series two tapes, and I still need three more tape from series one!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
My other question ... will single non subscriber tapes still be offered.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:44:15 PM by Ben »

Offline Kenkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 11:51:54 PM »
In my opinion that is a pretty good jump in price, especially for those of us who took the leap of faith to start with. Further more we are talking series two tapes, and I still need three more tape from series one!!!

Jay

I agree, it might be too big a jump too soon. Tough economy too. Everyone has to make a profit. I understand. I run a business myself. But you also have to consider the competition. I my opinion, it is new 45 rpm vinyl. Some of us have big buck vinyl rigs that can boogie. Maybe not quiet as good as the TP tapes, but when you can get 6 new 45's for the price of one TP tape title, it is getting harder to justify the expense. Don't get me wrong, the TP tapes have set the bar in my audio room, but it is about the music. It might just be getting out of what I consider rational for feeding my analog habit. I will be thinking hard about this....

Ken
Ken Kirkpatrick
Cat Ultimate preamp, Basis Debut Vacuum, Basis Vector tonearm, Urishi,Walker motor drive, Cat JL-1 amps, Sony XA9000Es SACD, Wadia 860,Yamaha CT 7000, Nak Dragon, RX 505, 2 REL Stentor II's, Sonus Faber Amati's, Cardas Golden Cross and Siltec cables, Otari MX 5050 B III, Teac X2000R

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 12:20:18 AM »
I suspect the 45's are not the 45's I think of when I think of records.
The one thing I *know* is the source for TP tapes, is it not edited to sound
good, or fix problems. That I can't say of other music productions, that some how
don't have a real master tape to copy from.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 12:23:40 AM »

Jay

I am confused too. I can't imagine they would not offer original charter subscribers a chance to buy a charter series II for the same price as series one within the 2 month timeframe

Ken

The price for Series Two is more than Series One (and Series One is going to be more expensive for newer subscribers too.) We are offering existing subscribers a very substantial discount off the new price for Series Two.

We can no longer sell these tapes at a loss.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 03:13:59 AM »
Hi Paul, I understand that you can not sell these or any other tapes at a loss. My feelings are that I am being asked for more money and I don't yet have what I already paid for. I hope you guys understand my point of veiw. I love this project and would like to continue to be a part of it, but the waiting is far longer than anything I expected. It is hard reading post from others who have had their tapes for such a long time, and you are still waiting for yours.

Jay

Offline Kenkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »
I suspect the 45's are not the 45's I think of when I think of records.
The one thing I *know* is the source for TP tapes, is it not edited to sound
good, or fix problems. That I can't say of other music productions, that some how
don't have a real master tape to copy from.

You are correct, they are not the little 45's we bought for a buck in the past. These are full size vinyl records, 180 or 200 gram weight cut directly from the master tape. They are reissues just like the TP tapes. They usually have 3 to 4 records per title. The increased speed and spacing of the grooves gives the cutting engineer more space to cut the record hot for better dynamics. They can sound incredible, but are pricey at around 50.00 dollars a title. But in my system, they are the next best thing to a TP tape, and not far behind. But tape rules.... but the price.... must think about this.
Ken Kirkpatrick

Offline john

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 10:14:20 AM »
I think the main problem is a lack of communication, surely these price increases could have been announced in advance instead of leaving people to find out when they go to the subscription page to place an order.
John Taylor

Revox C270, Teac X-2000R, Technics RS1506, RS7500, Nakamichi Dragon, CR7E, Sony WM-D6C, Sony EL7 ( Elcaset! ) Brinkmann balance, Brinkmann Ti Cart, Clearaudio Balanced Ref, Esoteric XO1-D2, ARC Ref3, Ref 210, JM Lab Micro Utopia Be and Jas Audio Plato.

Offline Kenkirk

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
Yes, A little warning would have been nice. I personally was expecting a price increase. But I figured it would be 10% or less so that attrition would be minimal. There are allot of software products competing for our money these days. BluRay is a big hit at my house. The audio is far better than I expected. Tons of new vinyl reissues from the master tapes. And many of us have less discretionary income dollars to spend do to the economy. So it is a bit of a shock to me to see such a large increase in cost of the TP tapes. I am not saying they are not worth the money. I am not saying the do not deserve every penny they are asking for. I am just saying it might result in more attrition to the project than they are expecting.  I hope not. But that might be in their calculation of their new business model.

Ken
Ken Kirkpatrick

Offline john

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »
Yes, A little warning would have been nice. I personally was expecting a price increase. But I figured it would be 10% or less so that attrition would be minimal. There are allot of software products competing for our money these days. BluRay is a big hit at my house. The audio is far better than I expected. Tons of new vinyl reissues from the master tapes. And many of us have less discretionary income dollars to spend do to the economy. So it is a bit of a shock to me to see such a large increase in cost of the TP tapes. I am not saying they are not worth the money. I am not saying the do not deserve every penny they are asking for. I am just saying it might result in more attrition to the project than they are expecting.  I hope not. But that might be in their calculation of their new business model.

Ken

My sentiments exactly, I know some of us might be able to afford this increase easily but I'm sure that many can't and will drop out. There is also the danger that because of the reduced number of subscribers this project might peter out after while then what? I hope the last four titles yet to be announced come from some of the many suggestions put forward on this site, jazz and classical are not everybody's liking, classical for example is well served by sacd.     
John Taylor

Revox C270, Teac X-2000R, Technics RS1506, RS7500, Nakamichi Dragon, CR7E, Sony WM-D6C, Sony EL7 ( Elcaset! ) Brinkmann balance, Brinkmann Ti Cart, Clearaudio Balanced Ref, Esoteric XO1-D2, ARC Ref3, Ref 210, JM Lab Micro Utopia Be and Jas Audio Plato.