Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: 2nd series titles  (Read 46183 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd series titles
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 10:12:51 PM »
I'd imagine that they're using those cool sculpted looking Ayre mono blocks. Pretty darn nice sounding for solid state. I bet they really take those TAD's by the short hairs and shake em.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 10:23:49 PM »
i like the choices, thanks.

i had spoken to Chad at RMAF about RTR and so i did expect one of his Blues titles to be included; good choice on Little Hatch.

i just spent an hour finding and buying CD's and Lp's of 'The Staple Singers' and the Respighi 'Church Windows' (the 45rpm Lp of this is coming from Germany). i have 45rpm Lps of the other one's (33rpm for the Nojima) already and they are all what i would call....'tasty'.

i've been working on setting up my digital for hi-rez downloads; so i'll be able to compare that on some of the RR's.

all in all these are all excellent sonically and musically and continue the 'high standard' of series 1.

mikel
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:25:32 PM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 10:39:23 PM »
I haven't got the Little Hatch myself but I've heard it a few times at my local dealer. Great sounding stuff for sure. I'm really glad to see that the first solo piano is a RR. I've always treasured piano recordings that really sound like the real thing. Somehow the scale is almost never in evidence.
I haven't heard that Staple album in quite a while but I did hear a Mavis on NPR a couple of weeks ago (she was a guest on " Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me") and she is a kick in the pants. Really looking forward to hearing that in all it's glory.
I have to say that when you look at the catalog as a whole, it's pretty freakin' impressive. Doc, Paul and Michael are making us early adopters look like geniuses.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 10:49:20 PM »
I can honestly say -- I don't know any of them.
While I still need 60,000 more pennies for a selective subscription
I guess I will have to wait until the other 4 titles are released but they all look
so good. I want to buy now.

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »
More a wish list here. Will we be getting any music from Europe?
That includes the UK.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 12:38:17 AM »
Hey Doc, you might tell Paul that Sennheisser  has introduced their new flagship headphone, the HD800, there at CES. It's the results of 2 years of development and is a ground up new design. The only listening test has been from the founder of Headfi and he is loving it . It features a brand new ring radiator driver totally different from anything else used in headphones up to this point. Here's a link to Jude's pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-jude/sets/72157612254832521/
I'm sure I'll have to buy one whenever they're available just to find out for myself if they did what they set out to do,.. build the most accurate dynamic headphone on the market? (man, do I sound like an ad man or what?)
Here's a link to an uploaded Senn brochure;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-jude/sets/72157612254832521/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:47:10 AM by ironbut »
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »
I have the 45 rpm recordings from RR of both "Church Windows" and "Nojima Plays Liszt". I bought the Respighi after reading J. Gordon Holt's review in Stereophile. While it is a stupendous recording captured by Keith Johnson, keep in mind, if you are not familiar with it, that the orchestra and venue, are not top tier (recorded in a high school auditorium).

The dynamics are spectacular. This is one of Respighi's most overlooked compositions, a tone poem in 4 sections, each one devoted to a window and what the window depicts. "Church Windows" actually is what inspired me to explore more of Respighi's work, including "Pines of Rome", "Fountains of Rome", "the Birds" and another of my favorites "Ancient Airs and Dances" so well captured by Bob and Wilma Fine on the Mercury Living Presence label, under the baton of Antal Dorati.

I also have an original pressing of "Brilliant Corners" as well as the reissue. I am really looking forward to the treatment on tape of the mono master of this great work too.

Great choices guys, and thanks!
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »
for the mono album am i right assuming that both tracks contain the same signal or is it a one track tape or one track per side?
Xavier Cortes

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 12:07:02 PM »
Looks great, I'm in for Series II.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 07:43:42 PM »
for the mono album am i right assuming that both tracks contain the same signal

You are correct, Xavier, both channels contain the same signal. You'll experience it first on the Sonny Rollins, TP010, which is also mono.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 07:54:36 PM »
Too bad I couldn't find a way to wear only on track at a time. I have a funny feeling that the Rollins tape is going to spend a lot of time on the ole Technics.
I'm sure that it depends on how the stereo version is made from original mono recordings, but just how much do you think is lost during the process Paul?
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 08:07:40 PM »
the Sonny Rollins, TP010, ... is also mono

didn't know that. Thanks Paul
Xavier Cortes

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 09:18:42 PM »
Does that make  it 1/8" tape ... :)

I am glad to see that mono is on the list.

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 01:41:12 AM »
I was wondering about that too.
The configuration for mono that is.
It could be set up as 1/2 track mono with a side one and side two, and duplicated just as easily.
One half the tape used as well.  One reel instead of two. The only downside is a bit of cross talk might be possible from the opposite side.
And people don't have the easy switching provision on equipment any more to route the left channel only to both speakers.
So, it is being released as 2 identical mono tracks in the same direction.
It could be argued that it is better to listen to only one track for phasing and alignment issues and one speaker for mono.
Someone will have to do those experiments.
Another possibility would be a full track mono release but that is incompatible with all the equipment setups for stereo duplication so we won't be going there I would assume !

I think I will move this whole topic over to Tape Tech and call it listening to mono tapes...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:49:46 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »
OK folks, the new page is up. And I happen to be listening to the tapes as I type.

Mavis, Kenny, damn...

http://www.tapeproject.com/catalog/catalog.htm
Dan,
When hit the order button for the selective subscription for series two the price comes up as $1470 is this correct? Please explain?

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.