TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: I'm really pissed off  (Read 15551 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
I'm really pissed off
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:57:31 PM »
50% of the posts on this forum are complaints from people that has not received x, y or z tape. Even in threads not related to that. You wan't to get your music fast? Why don't you download something from itunes?

Sorry about the rant but this project is supposed to be something above those things.
Xavier Cortes

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: I'm really pissed off
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:32:29 PM »
50% of the posts on this forum are complaints from people that has not received x, y or z tape. Even in threads not related to that. You wan't to get your music fast? Why don't you download something from itunes?

Sorry about the rant but this project is supposed to be something above those things.

Guilty as charged sir.

I do think that many did not expect waits of one year however. (I am not at that mark for a couple of months yet)
I really went out on a limb to get a selective subscription to series one. It was a BIG DEAL financially to do even that!
I probably can't play in the series two league.
I do understand that this has been far more complex and labor intensive than anyone imagined to get going.
I really hope it continues to amaze people sound quality wise, and at least breaks even and hopefully is profitable at the new price points.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:03:31 AM »
I don't want FAST MUSIC, I want better1 music.

1 Better is less irritating distortion for me.
I can think of several ways you can sell a copy of music
but how many will come back for repeat business.That is
the way of todays market place. Not here.

I would have to say I was farther on the limb than most,
but the main reason I had not the money saved was I never found
a R2R in Canada until at the last minute. The problem with
the tapes production, for selective subscriptions it seems only the
people on the front of the list are getting tapes and later people keep
getting pushed back on the list, or just pure bad luck when and what
you ordered.

PS. *How often you plan to play your Tape Project Tapes?*

Also Steveidosound have you received any tapes?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:07:34 AM by Ben »
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:52:36 AM »

"Also Steveidosound have you received any tapes?"

Yes, at the risk of being completely redundant here (and I have only posted it to make sure the powers that be are sure of my status without bothering them with emails),

I am a selective subscriber. I subscribed last March.
I just got  005 a week or so ago.
Had 1,2 & 4
3 and 7 will complete my selective subscription.

I will be happy to just get my 6 and enjoy what I have unless or until I undergo a massive change for the better financially.
And as I also stated, I wish The Tape Project financial success. They can't sell tapes at a loss.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:50:23 AM »

My friend a part of having a forum is so that members and visitors alike have somewhere to get infomation about the TP tapes and it's going ons. Also it is theraputic for some to be able to vent a little, so if you are content with your position in this foray let others do what they feel is best for them. A little ranting and raving never really hurts anyone anyway, it is just letters on a screen.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:44:36 AM »
You're right. However every other thread is contaminated by these type of complaints. For example, if there's a thread about the second series titles I would expect to read comments about the music, about who's heard the albums before, what's the quality of the performance and the recording, etc., instead of whether or not UPS delivers daily or not to some country or whether someone that suscribed when all the first series titles were announced should expect to receive his tapes immediately after suscription because he doesn't lke to read about the tapes from others instead of receiving them immediately.

So my point is not that people can't complain or express their views or experiences but rather that the appropriate threads should be used or started for such purpose.

Xavier Cortes

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:50:43 AM »
Of course I'm right, and thanks for acknowledging that!!! (LOL)!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline john

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:13:30 AM »

50% ??? I'm sure its more like 0.1% and thats only if you call an enquiry a complaint, maybe more regular delivery status announcements would curtail the number of people asking. By the way, please don't mention itunes on this site !!!!
John Taylor

Revox C270, Teac X-2000R, Technics RS1506, RS7500, Nakamichi Dragon, CR7E, Sony WM-D6C, Sony EL7 ( Elcaset! ) Brinkmann balance, Brinkmann Ti Cart, Clearaudio Balanced Ref, Esoteric XO1-D2, ARC Ref3, Ref 210, JM Lab Micro Utopia Be and Jas Audio Plato.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:52:47 AM »
I think that the very nature of this project attracts folks that are more daring and willing to take a chance than the average audio guy. These same people also tend to be pretty opinionated and thoughtful. So, whatever the reason, we aren't going to see eye to eye all the time but overall, I think that this forum has been remarkably civil.
What Xavier suggests regarding starting new threads for venting or sharing the business end of things is a good idea but as we all know, sometimes threads evolve into this without anybody meaning to "hijack" the original subject.
Ideally, the major portion of this forum would be related to the theory and practice of the use of reel to reel tape and the Tape Project tapes in particular. I hope that it'll become a repository of information for beginners and more advanced users alike. If someone has come into possession of say a Revox PR99, I'd like them to be able to do a search for that deck and find everything they need for the proper care and feeding of that particular deck. I think that you'll agree that one or two years from now, that you wouldn't want someone to have to wade through posts about the current price increase. But, like I said, sometimes there's just no getting around it. But if you find yourself involved in a more personal discussion outside of the original subject, starting a new thread or even continuing by PM would be better.
Personally, I really enjoy hearing the thoughts and opinions of the members here. If I wanted the run of the mill opinions and characters, I'd join the local gym (or athletic club as they're called now). Sometimes that requires you to overlook some things that don't site quite right with you, but I think it's all part of life right?
Carry on,..
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline john

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:08:25 PM »
Steve, your the backbone of this forum and thats a compliment.
John Taylor

Revox C270, Teac X-2000R, Technics RS1506, RS7500, Nakamichi Dragon, CR7E, Sony WM-D6C, Sony EL7 ( Elcaset! ) Brinkmann balance, Brinkmann Ti Cart, Clearaudio Balanced Ref, Esoteric XO1-D2, ARC Ref3, Ref 210, JM Lab Micro Utopia Be and Jas Audio Plato.

ceved

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »
Well if Steve is the backbone, I must be the jaw bone of an ass.

I am as guilty as some for posting 'where for art thou posts?', but I tried to do it in an entertaining way.
It wasn't as though I was waiting for an organ donor shipment.

Maybe it is the time of year, or maybe it is the time of man, but I have taken note that the general tone of congenial discourse which Steve refers to has taken a turn towards a less restrained exchange on several threads which is unfortunate.
Anybody remember the slime pit rec audio became?

I agree with Xcortes that a number of threads have contained what to some may have been irrelevant postings, or took the original poster's intended point on an unintended tangent.
That may be as much a function of changing/improving the organization of the forum (as in the easy to find/comment title threads,) as unintentional disruption.  Sometimes the replies take on a stream of consciousness type feel don't you think?

It is obvious that the status of a subscribers tape shipments  is important to many people.  I believe the TP management has tried to provide more personalized/prompt and confidential responses to these types of questions, but that improvement has been fairly recent if I am not mistaken.
Perhaps a more blatant effort needs to be pursued to point subscribers in the correct direction to obtain this information rather than leaving the subscriber to chance a random or repeated post in various threads in the hope of a reply.

I don't want to be preachy, but there are places in this world where folks would give everything they own to be able to spend a few peaceful minutes typing their thoughts about a pastime which brings them enjoyment.

The point?
Let's be considerate of one another.
Freely express your thoughts.
Be open to the enjoyment of different opinions.
Maintain a healthy perspective.
Learn new information which will enhance your enjoyment of rtr.
Have fun at the TP.

Or else!!!!!
(that's a joke)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:08:13 PM by ceved »

mep

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »
I have been watching this forum closely and it has been enlightening.  One thing I have learned is that TP subscribers are made up of those who can barely afford the series 1 prices and those who are very well-heeled.  I suspect the well-heeled are in the minority.

For those of you who have complained about the recent price increases, a simple bit of homework would tell you that the tapes should never have been priced at $200 in the first place.  Even if you already owned the master deck and the 4 slave decks, you simply can't pay for the licensing fees, over $100 for the raw tape, the cost of the deluxe boxes, artwork, metal reel engraving, the labor for tape duplication, and the cost of machine maintenance and expect to make a dime from this effort.

I initially toyed with the idea of setting up a complimentary business to the TP as I thought that most subscribers were well-heeled and would not be satisfied with being able to purchase 10 tapes per year and there would be a big enough market to fill the void.  I did a business case analysis and quickly determined that you could not make money at $200 per release (2 tapes).  The cost of buying 5 ATR 102 decks from ATR was quoted to me at $50K.  Factor in everything I said above, and you see that the TP is not a business, it is a labor of love.  Even at $300 per release, this is not a venture that would entice anyone to start a business to serve this niche market.  And now knowing that many of the people on this forum can't afford $300 per release, you can see that one would be rather eccentric (i.e., crazy)to try and venture into this business.  Everyone here who has bought TP tapes and enjoyed them should thank their lucky stars that the principals involved stuck their necks out and made this venture happen.  It may never happen again by anyone else.  If it does, expect to see prices around $500 per release.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 11:47:19 AM »
Thanks, mep. We gave up trying to convince people that we were not crazy quite some time ago - we found that it was way too hard for us to pull off.

However before everyone starts passing out the hammers and nails for our coffin, I would remind folks that the one guaranteed thing about internet forums is the impression one gets of a "crisis" is always way out of proportion to the actual facts. While I'm not typing this from the TP corporate jet, Eileen did just sent a healthy deposit check to Paul to deposit in the TP bank account, due to the swift action of many renewing subscribers. Thanks to those fine folks who have subscribed! You are keeping the shelves full of tape stock and flanges.

Amongst the plans for growth this year, Eileen and I are looking for a new space to house both Bottlehead Corp. operations and the packaging and shipping dept. for TP. With this step, which will put all of the order processing and packaging and shipment under one roof, we foresee a ramping up of the delivery process and the ability to give very up to the minute status reports. We're hoping to find a space in the next month to six weeks. Meantime Romo is pulling double shifts (as we all are), mastering and packing/shipping, with nary a day off. Carly is cranking out tapes under Paul's supervision. And we are wearing out the printers up here getting the artwork to him as fast as possible without sacrificing quality.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 12:31:28 PM »
It seems like you guys have gotten the production up to speed. Even though I can't say that I get my tapes much faster, cranking out those catch up runs and the simple fact that there are many more subscribers and real time tapes to make, I'm pretty happy!
I would like to thank all you guys for all the hard work and anxiety that we put you guys through. I'd also like to thank mep for helping to put some of this stuff in a better perspective.
When I put one of the Tape Project tapes on, and those first moments of sound reaches me, any thoughts about price and budget just falls away.
Obviously, this isn't for everyone. But for me, these are among the things that make life rich and satisfying. And knowing Doc, Paul and Michael, I find comfort in the knowledge that they will always maintain this level of quality.
Sermon over (at least this one!)
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »
Thanks to Mep for putting so eloquently what a lot of us have probably wanted to say. I am in charge of budget for a non-profit organization. We are dependent on our municipality for tax payer dollars each year to keep our doors open. We are, in effect, a cost center not a profit center. I try to look at the Tape Project much in the same way I look at what our organization does. We cost money to operate, we do not produce profit, but we are providing something that people want, and are willing to pay for.

I feel very lucky to be in the position of being able to subscribe to the Tape Project, not only for the wonderful music it has provided, but also the level of quality and attention to detail that have gone into each and every release. I would rather there be delays in getting the product out there as long as the quality is there both in content and packaging.

Costs for raw materials have gone up. Costs for shipping have gone up. Costs for licensing have increased.

You LP listeners out there: how many have you bought 200g 45 rpm reissues of jazz and classical releases at $50.00 or more each? At $200.00 each for a copy so close to the master, it was a steal for the consumer and clearly a labor of love for the principals involved. At $300.00 per tape it is still a bargain if you calculate the cost to get it into your hands.

I just want to say how grateful I am to Doc, Paul, Romo, Eillen, and everyone who is working so hard to keep this going. While it may not be for everybody, those of us who are part of this should consider ourselves very fortunate, whether you are a selective, charter or individual subscriber. You are part of something truly unique.

BTW: My job is as Executive Director of a Library system. Hard times are good times for libraries. We are busier than ever while facing the same budgetary crisis as the rest of the country. Unlike retail, where sales are off, we are seeing more and more people through the door than ever..

End of rant
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors