TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Discussion of The Number White  (Read 15673 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Discussion of The Number White
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:11:01 PM »
Hey guys, I don't see where anyone has actually discussed the music on this tape or the sound quality. Everything else seems to be about ship dates. Anyway, this is my own first exposure to Jacqui Naylor, and I just finished listening to it for the first time. She is an impressive singer, and actually, it is a little hard to believe that one is listening to a single singer the first time through - she voices each song differently, and sometimes changes her voice mid song. There is lots to listen to and keep one interested.

The sound quality is interesting - it is not at first as impressive as Waltz for Debby, possibly because I already knew that recording, but it really grows on you, and is non fatiguing in the extreme.

I thought that this might be the tape I listen to the least - but I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion of The Number White
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »
Ok, I admit I talk too much about other stuff, but until I get any tapes I can't make a comment. I too would like to know feelings about the tapes received. The tapes are
to be played, not collected is my feeling on the subject.

Footnote:  My tape came in today.- Jan 20 Had to add  $20.25 more for tax.I plan to play it soon, but I need to wait a bit while the tapes thaw out.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:11:07 PM by Ben »
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:52:25 AM »
Hey Tom, it's one of my favorites too. I agree with what you said about the different styles she sings in. The band is fantastic too. It takes a little while to dig past Jacqui's wonderful voice but Art's piano work and arrangements are another whole layer to be enjoyed. Do yourself a favor and check her website and go see her when she's playing in the area (she's from the bay area). It's doesn't get a whole lot better than that! Very nice folks ta boot.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Re: Discussion of The Number White - her live performances
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »
Steve, thanks for the pointer - I would love to hear her live. I visited her web site, and looks like she is on the east coast now and headed to Europe for February. Hopefully there will be a time in the not too distant future.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »
Hi Tom,

A lot of the lack of fatigue is due, IMO, to the mics we used. Jacqui sang into a Brauner VMA, the drum overhead was a C24 (sorry to day I don't remember the rest of the drum miking, maybe Earthworks?), the piano had two Neumanns - a U67 and IIRC a KM84, and Romo mic'd pretty much all else with a Royer ribbon. Electric bass was a mix of DI and mic'd speaker.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:33:54 AM »
Thanks, Doc. Very interesting info. Say, do you guys have plans to do more original material for the Tape Project?
Thomas Ream

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 12:51:01 AM »
Was a large part of it done with everyone in the studio playing live at the same time?
Personal opinion here, but it seems as if something magic happens when that is the case as opposed to each part being tracked on it's own.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 01:58:10 AM »
Well, if Doc won't do it, I guess I will.
Here's a link to some pictures from his birthday party/recording session. Nice pictures of Paul, Michael, PJ, Eileen and the rest of the Bottlehead family.
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/music/bday.htm
Hey, I never noticed the picture with Mikey in there before.
Mike Paschetto builds some nice stuff BTW. http://www.progressive-engineering.com/turntable_news.htm
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:12 PM »
Well I bought the Number White since I sorta could see the titles on the back of the cover.  So does live recording raise or decrease the price of tapes? :)
Well this brings back the idea is that great music is from people with talent both
in recording, singing and playing music.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »
I stand corrected it was a U67 and M47 on the piano. Thanks for the link, Steve, I forgot about that page.

To TomR, yes we hope to do one of our own recordings in each series. We have blast doing it, access to the best live room in San Francisco, and a couple of ideas for killer sessions in development.

Steveidosound, yes, some of the tracks, like Here's to Life, are straight takes. At the very least all other tracks were with all four artists playing in the tracking session. Obviously with Art playing three or four instruments in some tracks, those tracks had overdubs. Ditto with Josh on conga and bongos. I completely agree that getting the band to play together, and even better with an audience like was provided at my b'day party, you get the best out of the artists.

To Ben, oh yeah, if we did a session with the intention of only putting it out for TP subscribers the tapes would cost a fortune. Many tracks from The Number White session were also used on The Color Five CD, with different mixes. We recorded on tape and digital at the same time, so The Number White is from the tape and The Color Five CD is from the digitally recorded files.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »
I stand corrected it was a U67 and M47 on the piano. Thanks for the link, Steve, I forgot about that page.

Actually, it was a Neumann U-67 and  a Neumann U-87, both modified by Klaus Heyne.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »
Oh for crying out loud. Now you know why they don't let me set up the mics.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle