TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Mono playback  (Read 27966 times)

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Mono playback
« on: January 14, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
What is the best way to set up for mono playback of Saxophone Colossus
?
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mono playback
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 03:05:54 PM »
We are making this one on two-track equipment like all the other releases, but with the mono signal on both channels. It was our assumption that most people would just want to thread it up on the system they always use, sit back, and enjoy. So that's what I suggest you do.

If you want to go to more trouble, you can route the left channel to both your speakers and just listen to that. Then, when you have someone special in to show off your stereo, you can route the right channel to both speakers instead, and play them some thing that's NEVER BEEN LISTENED TO BEFORE!
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 04:25:15 PM »
How about listening to one channel only in true mono? Since I saw a couple of mono tapes were coming I started experimenting with mono lps's (including OJC's version of Brilliant Corners) and I just love it that way. Sweet spot is as big as the house. Even when listening from other rooms sound is very nice. I wish I had more mono music!
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 04:52:22 PM »
One of my prize recordings is an original mono (1957?) of "Kind of Blue". The surface noise is a little higher than the other gazillion releases of the record I have but it sure sounds sweet! You don't get the feeling that Evans is playing in the other room (slight exaggeration) like on the stereo versions.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:21:15 PM »
We are making this one on two-track equipment like all the other releases, but with the mono signal on both channels. It was our assumption that most people would just want to thread it up on the system they always use, sit back, and enjoy. So that's what I suggest you do.

If you want to go to more trouble, you can route the left channel to both your speakers and just listen to that. Then, when you have someone special in to show off your stereo, you can route the right channel to both speakers instead, and play them some thing that's NEVER BEEN LISTENED TO BEFORE!

Well, there you have it from THE authority (or one of three).
I am kind of happy that I didn't say anything different ! :>)

My only other concern was that someone would think it a good idea to combine both tracks electrically via a mono switch somewhere in the system before sending it to one or both speakers. That - in my opinion - would still be a mistake as any minor phase shift because of playback head alignment would become apparent, especially at high frequencies. You wouldn't probably notice this unless it was really gross (and it shouldn't be if you used your alignment tape) if you played it as as stereo tape and let the channels combine in your listening room as Paul first suggested.

The reason that a mono switch DOES work for mono records is that the lateral groove cut by a mono cutter is exactly a mirror image on both sides, so any differential between the two sides of the groove is out of phase noise which cancels out. There really can't be a phase shift unless your cartridge is radically skewed in the headshell and not tangent with the groove.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
I've received the first nine of Series one. Just curious if anyone has received #10 yet?
There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
Tape Project Charter Member #088
Link to my system  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »
Right now I am waiting for two tapes ... One  is lost in the mail somewhere
and the other is just out of Canada Customs. All I can say is I am expecting
#10 soon after this lot gets in.

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:05:59 PM »
TP-010 is on hold for a bit while we wait for a new shipment of album boxes to arrive by slow boat.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »
Dan

I sent you a PM several weeks ago re the Repro amp and have never heard back from you.
There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
Tape Project Charter Member #088
Link to my system  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927

Offline dwilawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »
TP-010 is on hold for a bit while we wait for a new shipment of album boxes to arrive by slow boat.

Any word on those boxes?  Still waiting for Creek Bank and this one.  You can send the me the reels now and the boxes when ever they come in.

Travis

Offline dwilawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »
I guess even more good news, just heard that a whole bunch, if not all, of TP10's were being shipped today.

Travis

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 05:46:16 PM »
We managed to get 20 out today. A shipment of flange screws came in late today, and the crew got a bit behind schedule. We can only manage packaging about 50 albums per day when it's all running at 100%, so based on the total number of subscribers it looks like they will be shipping out TP-010 tapes every day until sometime early next week.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 06:02:25 PM »
Damn those flange screws!!

I'm gonna have a little chat with Barack and see if we can do something about these flange screw/barrel bolts droughts. I don't see any reason why the National Guard can't distribute them anywhere in the county at a moments notice. I mean, after all, we're the ones who paid for those CH-47 Chinook helicopters!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
We managed to get 20 out today. A shipment of flange screws came in late today, and the crew got a bit behind schedule.

as i'm Charter #34 i suppose that delays my TP-010 another day. i got (flange) screwed. :0)

i guess i'll have to settle for the British Open, Le Tour, or watching the Mariners back in action tomorrow night. i'll survive.
Mike Lavigne

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »
Don't change your plans just yet, Mike. Your album did indeed go out today, I just checked the shipping log. The first few serial numbers are ours, so we shipped numbers out past serial #20 today. Some guy named Koto was in that shipment too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle