TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: "TP to move away from Technics decks"  (Read 8300 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
"TP to move away from Technics decks"
« on: January 18, 2009, 08:31:52 AM »
From Joel report of CES at the Tape Trail forum:

DocB and the gang are moving away from the Technics decks, they will be selling off the few they have left shortly. I got to spend some quality time in their TAD suite this year which was one of the best at the show. The Tape project have adopted as a new r2r platform, my favorite deck, the Otari 5050 series

Is the TP really moving away from the Technics or is the Otari an addition to the family?
Xavier Cortes

Offline braver

• View Profile
Re: "TP to move away from Technics decks"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:19:44 PM »
I'd like to know the answer, too -- especially given the Big Red sale above.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »
We intend to support both machines with our mods and electronics. I'm selling Big Red because I now have a Nagra T. I'm also selling a couple other Technics that I took in trade from Tape Project subscribers. Normally I don't buy and sell machines, we just mod customer machines.

Both the modded Technics and the modded Otari are good choices for a machine if one does not have the budget or the inclination to climb the learning curve of a studio machine. There are sonic differences between the Technics and the Otari, but they are small relative to the differences between, say, open reel tape and vinyl or open reel tape and high res digital. The modded Technics is a little more towards smooth and sweet, and the modded Otari is a little more towards quick and punchy. It would be the along the lines of the kind of differences one might hear between different types of turntables or different types of output tubes. Each flavor will have its supporters.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 06:58:27 PM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:25:35 PM »
That is a very good description.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline bobschneider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:53:10 AM »
Doc, any idea when you'll start offering mods to customer's MX-5050s?

Thanks!
Bob Schneider

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »
We have a couple of big projects going right at the moment. After we get those caught up a bit over the next two or three weeks I think we can probably start to pull together the Otari mod.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project