TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Yellow "Stereotape" Labels On Reels in Factory Boxes...  (Read 9961 times)

Offline Tekbot

• View Profile
Yellow "Stereotape" Labels On Reels in Factory Boxes...
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and first time poster...

I've started snagging 4track reels of of ebay and have run into a couple of tapes that don't right. Has anyone run into reels in factory boxes but with yellow "Stereotape" labels on them? The box will say 3 3/4ips....but the label (with dot matrix printing) will list info as 7.5 ips, Artist, Catalog number, etc. Does anyone know whether these are basically bootlegs or actual releases by the Studios. Thanks
Michael Ivins-The Flaming Lips

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow "Stereotape" Labels On Reels in Factory Boxes...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »
If it is real dot matrix printing, something is fishy as dot matrix printers
are from the mid 80's and most audio tapes are before that.
Just my two two cents worth.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline reel zealot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:36:34 PM »
If it is a yellow label with Stereotape or The Reel Society printed on the label with a dot matrix printer, these are legit.  It is possible that the tape is not original and the original reel and box were re-used.

Here is the history...
Stereotape started selling tapes directly and through a limited number of distributors in the mid-70s.  However, given that duping open reels is a labor intense proposition unlike pressing CDs, they tried a number of approaches to reduce their costs.  These included using previous boxes and graphics with 3 3/4ips listed when the tape was really dup'ed at 7 1/2.  And the use of computer printed labels prior to the cheap laser labels of today.  In the era, the labels were printed on a continuous feed dot matrix printer.

You will even find 7 1/2 ips tapes from Stereotape where the box and the reel label say 3 3/4ips.  All they did was put a 7 1/2ips on the shrink wrapped box.

Let me know if you have other questions on Stereotape, Ampex, or B-C reel tapes.

the real question is how did they sound?
Glenn Yoritomo

Offline Tekbot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:32:02 AM »
Thanks reel zealot:

That is very interesting...I'm playing a Stereotape reel of Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection right now that is indeed at 7 1/2 ips (on the original box someone had inked out 3 3/4ips and wrote 7 1/2 ips on the spine) it sounds good so far...

Is there any documentation out on the Web on the Stereotape company?
Michael Ivins-The Flaming Lips

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »
Hey reel zealot, it sounds like you really know what went on with these tapes. I've seen the light green and the yellow labeled ones for sale. I've never seen a catalog of these tapes but it sounds like they made 3 3/4 ips releases and 7 1/2 ips of the same albums? I have also seen others (mostly rock/pop albums) that were released in both speeds, the Beatles come to mind.
One thing that I've wondered is if there were any large tape duplication facilities in Europe? I have a couple of jazz releases that are British in origin (World Record Club, Surrey) on EMI tape but aside from those, I can't remember seeing one that was made outside of the US. I guess I should check since I've never looked to see where some of the more unusual classical tapes were made ( If you haven't, those interested in 1/2 track tapes should pay a visit to Charlie King's  {stellavox} killer listing over on the yahoo groups reel to reel group). What I'm wondering is if you know of any commercial releases that were made with IEC equalization? I had an A77 in the early 70's and always looked at that IEC setting and figured that there would be just as many tapes produced with that eq as with NAB. And while I haven't actively searched the off shore sources for old tapes ( I've done some quick looks and never found anything like the bonanza we have here) I'd think that some would trickle into the US. I'd think that these would be recorded on BASF or Agfa too. Any thoughts on that?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline reel zealot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
On Stereotape, see new topic. 

As to the IEC question, here is what I've seen:

.  I looked at the U.S. Capitol and Columbia 2-track recordings I have and none of these mention the equalization. As to European tapes, I have only seen 3 ? tapes from England and Germany.  I have 1 2 track mono Beatles tape and it also does not mention equalization. Most of the European tapes I have seen have been on 5? reels at 3 ?.  Apparently, for use with compact recorders prior to the cassette.
Japan released many reel to reel tapes, all of excellent quality.  A few years ago I found that World Tape Club released 7 1/2ips tapes in Australia while their releases in England where 3 ?.  Unfortunately, I have found that the quality varies widely.

Reel Zealot.
Glenn Yoritomo

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 08:55:51 PM »
I would be more concerned about the bias on pre-recorded tape.
With my Otari I have 3 settings, high-med-low I suspect I have a 50 50
chance of one  the settings being right.
BTW how does Beatles tape sound?

Offline reel zealot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 08:59:36 PM »
To be honest, this is one I haven't played yet.  When I finally got a 2 track machine, it's 7 1/2 and 15 ips.  I suspect that almost all tapes are set to the NAB equalization...Sorry.
Glenn Yoritomo

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 09:45:50 PM »
I have it set at NAB , I just don't know the level of the normal pre-recoded tapes.

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 10:51:29 PM »
I spent the first 30 years of my life in Europe. Unlike here in the US, R2R was not a popular medium for music albums at all in Europe. It was mostly vinyl or otherwise cassette tapes of very mediocre in quality. Therefore you won't find very many prerecorded tapes from Europe.
Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 11:12:41 AM »
Ben,

You state: "I would be more concerned about the bias on pre-recorded tape."

You will no doubt be relieved to learn that the bias only matters when recording a tape.  Your bias setting has no effect upon the playback of a prerecorded tape.

cdw
Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline powwerstroke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 07:48:38 PM »
I have a yellow lable Stereotape (a division of Magtec) by Black Oak Arkansas - High on the Hog.    4 track - 7-1/2 ips stereo. 1973 Atlantic Recording Corp.