TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: wow & flutter measurement question..  (Read 4832 times)

Offline themildbunch

• View Profile
wow & flutter measurement question..
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
Hi

I have a Nakamichi T100 audio analyser that I regularly use for cassette deck alignment. This has a w/f meter but it uses the JIS standard, requiring a 3000Hz test tape, not the 3150Hz 1/4" reel tape MRL supply. At the moment I have no other w/f meter.

Can I accurately measure w/f using this setup?

thanks

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: wow & flutter measurement question..
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »
Hi themildbunch (great alias but we use our real names here,

Not being familiar with the test gear, I couldn't tell you. But, here's the email of a local Nak guy (thanks Larry). I'm sure he could clue you in.

[email protected]
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Tim

• View Profile
Re: wow & flutter measurement question..
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:30:21 PM »
The w&f part of the analyser should work fine (and produce accurate readings) with a 3150 test tape.  The absolute speed indicator part won't work, however.  A lot of new muti-meters these day have built-in counters, so you could use one for determining (and setting) absolute tape speed and measuring tape-slip (change of speed from beginning to end of reel).
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.