Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: wow & flutter measurement question..  (Read 4829 times)

Offline themildbunch

• View Profile
wow & flutter measurement question..
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:10:02 PM »
Hi

I have a Nakamichi T100 audio analyser that I regularly use for cassette deck alignment. This has a w/f meter but it uses the JIS standard, requiring a 3000Hz test tape, not the 3150Hz 1/4" reel tape MRL supply. At the moment I have no other w/f meter.

Can I accurately measure w/f using this setup?

thanks

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: wow & flutter measurement question..
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »
Hi themildbunch (great alias but we use our real names here,

Not being familiar with the test gear, I couldn't tell you. But, here's the email of a local Nak guy (thanks Larry). I'm sure he could clue you in.

[email protected]
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Tim

• View Profile
Re: wow & flutter measurement question..
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:30:21 PM »
The w&f part of the analyser should work fine (and produce accurate readings) with a 3150 test tape.  The absolute speed indicator part won't work, however.  A lot of new muti-meters these day have built-in counters, so you could use one for determining (and setting) absolute tape speed and measuring tape-slip (change of speed from beginning to end of reel).
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.