TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: GQT Tape Machine [Georges Quellet - Stellavox, Tribute]  (Read 5607 times)

Offline kostavox

• View Profile
GQT Tape Machine [Georges Quellet - Stellavox, Tribute]
« on: March 14, 2018, 02:21:42 AM »
Hi All,
Just wanted to introduce myself and my latest project - producing a Tape Machine.
It is based on my trusty Stellavox SM8 which I've used to record over 300 concerts [http://www.metaxas.com/recordings.html ]
and has the blessing of Georges Quellet - founder of Stellavox.
As I'm still researching some of the parts, any info on Tape Head suppliers et al would be appreciated.
warm rgds,
Kostas Metaxas
www.metaxas.com

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Re: GQT Tape Machine [Georges Quellet - Stellavox, Tribute]
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:22:16 AM »
Hi Kostas,

As you are probably aware, The Stella's used what Nortronics called "B case" heads, a "standardized" shape that a few manufacturers made.  They used Bogen (German) originally for PB and Record with Wolke erase, then switched to Nortronics PB/R.

I believe the only entity still making heads is AMR? or something like that in Europe - they made the later butterfly heads for the Stella SM.  O yeah, I believe that Flux Magnetics also makes B case units - at least playback.

Depending on how many you need, I have some record and erase Pro Nortronics.  Want to keep the few PB heads I have as there are no more.  Also suggest contacting John French to see what he may have.  I also have a few Pro nortronics heads that are fine but could use a relap.

Charles

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GQT Tape Machine [Georges Quellet - Stellavox, Tribute]
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
Kostas,

There are two outfits currently making the type of heads we need for audio.

AM Belgium is a pretty large company, with most of their business in data, credit card scanners and other fields. But they do make--and have made for years--audio heads.

Flux Magnetics in California make very high quality audio heads, and audio heads are their only business.

Good luck with your new machine.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject