TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Hey Doc, you thought your Kiev was cool?  (Read 6290 times)

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Doc, you thought your Kiev was cool?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »
Do spy tapes come standard?
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:29:41 PM »
Nice find! I've tried a few time to find out about reel to reel machines that were made and used in studios behind the Iron Curtain (pre Gorbi Russia) For the most part, I was interested in the record/playback electronics since tubes were still researched and developed right up till the nineties. For those who don't know, all music production and distribution was state controlled and the import and use of western equipment was forbidden. So the studios used only Russian microphones and recording gear. Some of the microphones have found customers in the west and while the couple that I've used weren't very impressive sounding, they're very cheap and there are more upscale ones that have a few fans. Here's the site for some I've thought about trying:
http://russian-mics.com/nevaton.php?osCsid=c279b9b62a748b50ea0c8a6f757bb77a
Some interesting background there and cool pictures.
I really find Russian culture interesting (do some searching for pictures of the Moscow subway sometime!) so maybe it's just me.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:03:13 AM »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »
Thanks Dan, that's some cool stuff there. I really like the occasional bad translation that slips into the text  (electronical seestems,.. I  threw in the seestem part). I'll throw that link out to the guys over on some of the lists and see what kind of opinions/trouble I can stir up.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades