TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Classical Music Subscription Series  (Read 16342 times)

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
Classical Music Subscription Series
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »
While I understand that there is a lot of interest in Jazz and Blues, and other styles of music, I personally don't have any interest in these styles.  And since these styles take up 60% of a subscription, they have kept me from even being a selective subscriber. 

I am wondering if there would be a possibility for The Tape Project to consider a Classical Music Series.  I would subscribe today to a series with six classical titles, and if there were more, I would go for a full subscription.   

I would be interested in finding out if there are others who would also subscribe to this type of a series.

David

David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Classical Music Subscription Series
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
David,

I would be interested to know how many others would sign up for an all-classical series. We have been talking about splitting it off; we have some ideas for how we could do a serious classical program over a couple of years. What's holding us back is just the feeling that there wouldn't be enough subscribers to make it feasible. 
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

ceved

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:35:28 PM »
I enjoy many genres of music.  In classical I favor chorale, chamber, and ensemble work rather than large potboiler symphonies for a realistic scale to the soundstage.  But I do enjoy the sheer power a symphony offers. 
The idea of 'sub clubs' is fine with me as long as it does not cause a subscriber to over commit, or under select due to the purchasing rules.
One of the problems with classical is evidenced on the suggestion forum.
It is not only the piece, it is the conductor, orchestra, soloist, year, label. Yikes!
What an impediment to the uninitiated, or the serious listener w/o a ravenous appetite for 'shootouts' or Penguin Guides.
That being said, I am interested in more titles period.
Choosy mothers may choose Jiff, I will take what I can get.
Watch it Steve.
So yes, in theory I would support more classical selections.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the proposal. If it is classical titles beyond the regular series you can definitely count me in.
Xavier Cortes

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the proposal. If it is classical titles beyond the regular series you can definitely count me in.

I really want the four titles that have already been done, but I don't want the other two titles that I would have to pay for to get them with a selective subscription.  So for me, I would love to have all the present classical titles that have already been released, and future titles, like those in series two, put into a separate classical series. 

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:13:01 PM »
I guess you are the people the buy tapes with the title like The greatest hits in the year of the lord Nine Hundred and Eighty Three . :)
What I often wonder what was the music before they invented a way to write on
paper, musical notes?
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »
Yeah, I get it. Some sort of an alternate pricing structure for folks that just want classical. It makes sense since there are lots of true audiophiles that are into classical exclusively. Of course if it would mean additional titles being available than that would be excellent.
I think that until the day comes when something like that's available, you could probably make a post looking for someone that only wants jazz titles and pool your resources for a selective subscription ( at least for series 1, I believe you can order more tapes at the same price if you have a selective subscription).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 09:56:20 PM »
No, I am not suggesting an "alternate pricing structure".  I have no problems with the price of the subscriptions; I think the prices for both series are fair and reasonable - this is an incredible undertaking.  I am only asking about the possibility of a separate classical music series.

David
David Stangret

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:39:38 PM »
I guess I didn't put that very well huh? I didn't mean a different price but rather what you'd be paying for. I still think that you could find someone to share a subscription with for now. There's probably twice as many members here as there are subscriptions currently and I'm sure there are quite a few that would only like to get the jazz releases. I'd hate to think that you'd miss getting some of these tapes when you only need to find someone that wants to buy "Waltz for Debby"  and the "Saxophone Colossus" .
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 12:34:41 AM »
I am sure what you want is waiting in the wings for season #2.
Also it may be harder to find great classical music than compared to say Jazz
recordings.
BTW has anyone tried the Award Audio's tape of chamber music?

Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 01:49:08 AM »
I'd be interested in having additional classical issues in a separate subscription. I would probably stay with the regular series and pay for additional issues. I see that there is a critical mass that is needed if added issues are produced. I don't think there would be a shortage of really outstanding performances which are also superb sonically. Reference has some, but the very deep Decca/London catalogue where two of the first series originates has 50-100 albums that I can think of off the top of my hat that would equal or exceed the first two Decca issues from TP. There are a large number of RCA and Mercury and EMI and Harmonia Mundi and Lyrita ... I've just been listening to the superb Maazel recording of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet on Decca, for example. Of course, getting the rights and determining the condition of the original tapes makes the job much more complicated than it at first blush seems. I would think there are many times as many top quality performance/sonics classical albums as there are in any other genre. But the demand side is probably much lower per album. So the economics are tricky. I wouldn't want Dan, Paul and Mike to risk too much in expanding the offerings, if the basic project isn't kept thriving.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »

BTW has anyone tried the Award Audio's tape of chamber music?

I have it and Larry Toy (Astrotoy) has heard it. I like it well enough but would not put it in the same league with the TP releases. I believe Larry did not care for it too much.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline sound signal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 02:50:50 AM »
I really want the four titles that have already been done, but I don't want the other two titles that I would have to pay for to get them with a selective subscription.  So for me, I would love to have all the present classical titles that have already been released, and future titles, like those in series two, put into a separate classical series. 

No, I am not suggesting an "alternate pricing structure".  I have no problems with the price of the subscriptions; I think the prices for both series are fair and reasonable - this is an incredible undertaking.  I am only asking about the possibility of a separate classical music series.

David, I fully second your position.

I would be interested to know how many others would sign up for an all-classical series. We have been talking about splitting it off; we have some ideas for how we could do a serious classical program over a couple of years. What's holding us back is just the feeling that there wouldn't be enough subscribers to make it feasible. 

Paul, perhaps one way it could be done is the following:  Once there are ten classical titles in the catalogue, offer those ten at the same price as a charter subscription, which is also ten titles.  I would get on board for that.  How does that sound to you?
George Karaolides
Nicosia, Cyprus

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 07:02:02 AM »
i'm no Classical expert; but i do listen to lots of Classical music. there are Classical recordings i am as emotionally connected to as 60's rock or even classic Jazz titles. and i think i am typical of lots of audiophiles. go ahead and try to buy some of these top level Classical Lps off ebay. they get top dollar. having a TP level tape of a Heifetz Concerto on RCA, or maybe the Walter Beethoven 6th on Columbia, or some others would be wonderful. and i think people would step up and pay if there were enough of them.

generally i am simply in favor of more titles sooner while maintaining the viability of the TP business plan. once people see enough software to rationalize investing in the hardware they will be more likely to jump in. it's a chicken and egg issue. which comes first? my opinion is that software access is the limitation to activity. if adding more Classical would speed up this process then i vote yes and would buy any offered.

another perspective to consider is 'where is the TP library the weakest'? obviously that would be rock/pop. but getting license to most popular 60's or 70's rock titles is maybe not 'real world. but i don't want to derail this thread by getting off topic. getting some mainstream Clasiscal titles is just much more possible. these Classical rights owners don't make a dime on these expensive Lp sales on ebay. but TP license fees would be something.

count me in on any additional titles.

mikel

Mike Lavigne

Offline bobschneider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 10:00:38 AM »

another perspective to consider is 'where is the TP library the weakest'? obviously that would be rock/pop. but getting license to most popular 60's or 70's rock titles is maybe not 'real world. but i don't want to derail this thread by getting off topic. getting some mainstream Classical titles is just much more possible. these Classical rights owners don't make a dime on these expensive LP sales on ebay. but TP license fees would be something.

I agree that classic rock is where the TP catalog is weakest, and as a child of the 70s I'd like to see some of that.  I'm no expert on the music business, but with the record labels hurting as much as they are, you'd think they'd be anxious for any new source of revenue.  And there are precedents - MoFi managed to release the Beatles!  I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd go nuts over a TP tape of Revolver, although I'd expect the demand for something like that would overwhelm the TP.

One approach could be to try to contact musicians who are into sound quality, and could take an interest in what the TP is doing.  Two who come to mind are Neil Young and Steely Dan. 
Bob Schneider