Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Studer Tech in San Francisco...  (Read 16000 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Studer Tech in San Francisco...
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »
Hi all...I can't remember if I posted info on Michael Gore's repair shop here in San Francisco and wanted to make sure I let folks know about him.  He runs the Bay Area Studio Engineering (BASE) http://www.Analogrules.com and repairs Studer, Ampex, Revox and Otari's...sometimes TEAC and Tascam too.  I think most of his work is for studios, but is also happy to do work for us "audiophiles" too.

To date, he's worked on my 810 and B67, using the Tape Project Alignment tape and 468 tape for bias.  I just got my B67 back and like wow!  I?m listening to a crappy dub of Melanie?s ?Leftover wine? album and the high-end sparkles like it never has and her voice doesn?t get shattered in cross-talk.  There was new crispness in the drums and i can even hear bits of movement in the studio that I hadn?t heard before?way kewl!  He's working on my two PR99's currently and I'll let folks know how they turn out.

He's also pretty good about keeping Gear Acquistion Syndrome (GAS) in check and consistently tells me that I've got a great machine in the 810 as I drool over the C37's that pass thru his shop - tee - hee!

Best....Hopkins
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:20:45 PM by heideana »
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
Re: Studer Tech in San Francisco...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »
So, care to give us your subjective sound comparison between your B67 and your 810?

Studer Fools wanna know!

Thanks!
cdw
Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »
I'll have to get back to you on that one...the B67 is hooked into a Klipsch home speaker system while the 810 is hooked up to a valve amp Klipsch CWIII's...I think the 810 sounds a bit more sophisticated and warmer, while the B67 have a really tight crisp image.

What will be interesting once I get my Seduction kit put together is comparing the 810 to a "Bottlized" Technics 1500.  They'll be in the same system and easier to access....Hopkins

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:47:22 PM »
I did a bit of comparison listening and I have to say that the B67 sounds a bit tighter/brighter then the 810...but not by much.  The 810 feels like it handles tape gentler and more controlled compared the the B67.  Anyone else have experience comparing the two?

Offline hornblower64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:10:40 PM »
If you saw a Studer C37 at BASE recently, it's probably mine. NOS butterfly heads. Can't wait! Perhaps I'll eventually have him do my Studer B67, and Presto 825, as well.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:43:01 PM by hornblower64 »
David Bernhagen

Studer B67, C37; Presto 825; Tannoy 600A, ML 10's, Ribbon Microphone; Klipsch, Edgarhorn speakers; Westrex/Commonwealth 12D/4; Ortofon RMG-309; Leak Stereo 20; Parasound P/LD-2000; Telefunken USA Ela M 260, Lucas Eng. CS-1, Nakamichi CM-300, AKG D-112 microphones, etc.

jimm1909

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
Hi all...I can't remember if I posted info on Michael Gore's repair shop here in San Francisco and wanted to make sure I let folks know about him.  He runs the Bay Area Studio Engineering (BASE) http://www.Analogrules.com and repairs Studer, Ampex, Revox and Otari's...sometimes TEAC and Tascam too.  I think most of his work is for studios, but is also happy to do work for us "audiophiles" too.

To date, he's worked on my 810 and B67, using the Tape Project Alignment tape and 468 tape for bias.  I just got my B67 back and like wow!  I?m listening to a crappy dub of Melanie?s ?Leftover wine? album and the high-end sparkles like it never has and her voice doesn?t get shattered in cross-talk.  There was new crispness in the drums and i can even hear bits of movement in the studio that I hadn?t heard before?way kewl!  He's working on my two PR99's currently and I'll let folks know how they turn out. San Francisco

He's also pretty good about keeping Gear Acquistion Syndrome (GAS) in check and consistently tells me that I've got a great machine in the 810 as I drool over the C37's that pass thru his shop - tee - hee!

Best....Hopkins

I've used Michael Gore's repair shop in San Francisco and definitely recommend him.

He worked on my 810 also and did a great job getting it back up to snuff.

-Jim
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:11:06 PM by jimm1909 »