TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Gathering in SF Bay Area on March 14  (Read 14880 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Gathering in SF Bay Area on March 14
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:19:25 PM »
To all TP members in the Bay Area,

We're having a get together at my home in Orinda on March 14, starting about 1PM. We'll have Steve "Ironbut" Koto, Steve "steveidosound" Williams, and Rich "Marantzguy" Links (from Tape Trails). Hopefully we'll have all of the TP Series I tapes (currently I have the first eight). Rich promises to bring some rare treats and I should have all three of my machines operating. You can see them below in my signature. I am really a novice in the high end R2R arena - having had consumer tape machines for about 40 years - since college. I do have about 500 prerecorded tapes, including over 100 Barclay Crocker tapes that I amassed as a subscriber 25 years ago. I also have lots of records. We can do some vinyl vs. tape comparisons and listen to interesting stuff. I look forward to meeting many of you whom I only know by the TP Forum. You folks have a lot of knowledge for this newbie to learn. If you would like to come, drop me an email for further directions.  We will do a potluck and I will provide beer and wine for those who partake. Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Gathering in SF Bay Area on March 14
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »
I was bummed when I couldn't make it to the last one Larry. It'll be great to me you and some of the other local TP and guys in person. I've wanted to meet Richard Links for a while (marantzguy over on Audio Asylum). He always finds the most amazing stuff at his local recycling sources and is one of those guys that owns a ton of machines. I'll be bringing my modified Dolby Labs 330 which is still a work in progress at this exact moment, but I think I'm getting pretty decent sound out of it now. Heck, I need to have witnesses just to prove that it actually exists!
See you guys there!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »
Well I won't be able to attend because I will not be there, but I will be in San Francisco on Febuary 16, 17 & 18th. looking forward to meeting any of the TP guys that have the time.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 07:25:11 PM »
Count me out as the offer is good only in the lower 48 states. :)
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »
I just saw Romo at the TP studio today. I had invited him and/or Paul to join us on the 14th. He said that they will both try to make it and even Dan may be there. I'll make sure I break out some good booze. I find that prerecorded tapes sound best when the listener is well lubricated.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:19:52 PM »
Excellent! This is really shaping up to be quite an event. Nice going Larry!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

ceved

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 07:17:31 AM »
Proceed with the certainty that I can not make it.
Please no applause or excessive celebrating.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »
Larry,

Is there a bed and breakfast and a BART station near your place? I will see if I can get some frequent flyer tickets.

I could bring a couple of Quinton tapes.

Romo, if you're reading this please do not ship any TP to me before letting me know. I might ask you to send it to Larry or Steve (if they consent, of course!) but need to confirm my assistance before.
Xavier Cortes

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:14:04 AM »
Xavier, that would be great. I'll PM you on the hotel situation. There are several not too far away. We live 1/2 mile from the BART station in Orinda.  I'd be happy to have your tapes sent to me - or Romo could just bring them with him. Larry

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »
Hi to all

I am the other Steve Williams so I am looking forward to meeting my namesake at the bash. I just got off the phone with Paul who suggested that I might want to come. I live close by in Danville so getting there will be easy if I get the address.

It would be my pleasure to host other interested parties at my home for a future event. My system is posted here

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927
There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
Tape Project Charter Member #088
Link to my system  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »
It would be great to have you come to the gathering, Steve II.  I'll PM you on the address and details. Looks like we will have a dozen or so - including at least a majority and maybe all of the TP principals.  BTW, your system looks incredible. Larry

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »
It would be great to have you come to the gathering, Steve II.  I'll PM you on the address and details. Looks like we will have a dozen or so - including at least a majority and maybe all of the TP principals.  BTW, your system looks incredible. Larry

Thanks

I look forward to the festivities

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 06:39:48 PM »
Hi to all

I am the other Steve Williams so I am looking forward to meeting my namesake at the bash. I just got off the phone with Paul who suggested that I might want to come. I live close by in Danville so getting there will be easy if I get the address.

It would be my pleasure to host other interested parties at my home for a future event. My system is posted here

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927

There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams :)
sorry...
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 08:36:13 AM »
There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams, BUT there's ONLY oneobgyn :)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 09:20:28 AM »
Unfortunately the frequent flyer tickets thing didn't work out this time. Thanks Larry for the invitation and help.

You guys make sure you have lots of fun, OK?
Xavier Cortes