Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: On Audiogon - Otari MX-7000  (Read 8419 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
On Audiogon - Otari MX-7000
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:54:12 AM »
I just saw this on Audiogon. The seller is in Austin. I have no idea what this Otari is, but it looks like it records everything possible in 1/4" tape. Not sure whether it has IEC EQ. He is asking $1200 - don't know whether that is a good price or not.  Someone around Austin may want to check it out.   Larry

This ad is for a one owner Otari MX-7000 series 1/4" professional tape deck with the optional TY-511 accessory kit.
This recorder comes with two Otari reels..one loaded, owners manual, and accessory kit.
The reel to reel is in very good to excellent condition, and has had very little use since new.
The Otari MX-7000 will record full track mono, half track mono, dual track mono, four track mono, two track stereo, four track (2 channel) stereo, three track stereo, four track quad stereo, and multi-track synchronization of sound with sound, and sound on sound.
Record and playback speeds are 3 3/4, 7 1/2, and 15 ips and it has reel capacity of 10 1/2 NAB reels.
The dimensions are 20.23" W x 31.10" H x 18.22" D, and it weighs 110 lbs. I recommend crating when shipping.
Buyer pays shipping, insurance, crating, and paypal fees if used. Thanks
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: On Audiogon - Otari MX-7000
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:53:42 PM »
The Otari MX-7000 will record full track mono, half track mono, dual track mono, four track mono, two track stereo, four track (2 channel) stereo, three track stereo, four track quad stereo,

Hmm, that would take 4 head blocks, one for full track, one for 2 track (mono or stereo), one for 3 track (is 3 track 1/4" even a standard?) and one for 4 track and/or 4 channel - not to mention 4 channels of R/P electronics. I don't think you could cram more than 1 format into the same head block if it really records and plays all those formats. Typically you just see an additional play head for another format. JRF would know.
I wonder if someone got a piece of literature that said all the configurations the machine was originally available in and just thinks it can do all of those formats.
It would be a great deal if set up with all the right head blocks to do that though.

I have an older Otari MX5050 quad version, so If I got a typical 5050 2 track block for it I could do some of that, but not full track mono or 3 track full width.
I chose not to do that because my unit does not have IEC EQ either.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline niklasthedolphin

• View Profile
Re: On Audiogon - Otari MX-7000
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:56:37 AM »
As a follow up on the post on Lyrec machines, it seems like there will be spare part support in the future.

Quote:
"A new company Lyrec Denmark is established.
Our aim is to supply with spare parts, for the many recorders
still working globally, and offer repairs as well.

Spare parts will be available as refurbished,  NOS and new
manufactured.

Furthermore full documentation will be available successively."

From http://lyrec.dk/

"dolph"