Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: New Toy from Denmark- Lyrec Frida  (Read 37072 times)

Offline newmedia

• View Profile
Re: New Toy from Denmark- Lyrec Frida
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
Rich:

Quessing that your first FRIDA is the one (originally BBC) that I sold you, it's good to see that you are happy with the move away from Stellavox for concert recordings.  As a portable machine (albeit AC-powered) with 11" capacity, it really seems to have no equal.

I wonder what changed in the market to prompt Lyrec to go in this direction?  Clearly field recording had been working with 5"/7" reels for decades, so why did the BBC and the Swiss want to move up to 11"?  Or did they want to use the same machine in the field and the studio?  Or, did they just get tired of dealing with Nagra -- with IV-STC's in the field and TA's in the studio costing "too much"?

And, now the FRIDA is reborn for playback . . . if you can find one!

Mark Stahlman
New York City
Stellavox: SM8, SU8, SP8, AMI48 / Nagra: IV-SJ, Digital / Otari: MTR-20, MTR-12 / Sound Devices: 744T, 788 / AMEK: BC II, TAC Bullet / Infinite Slope: 2.0, 1.8, 1.0, 0.8 / Bruel & Kjaer: 2133, 2144, Pulse

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »
It is good to see general interests in fine reel to reel machine had greatly increased lately and some of the real experts in the field are joining the TP community to share their experiences.

Not that I need another master recorder...but having a nice Lyrec Frida in the same room as the herd of Studers and a Nagra-T Audio would round out my collection nicely...for now that is..

Ki

Ki Choi

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 10:33:03 AM »
Hi Mark
The Frida I bought from you was ex-BBC machine and the first one I had ever seen. I sold it to the legendary Pokemonoman. The two Lyrec Fridas I use now were purchased from Harold in Canada. One was ex-BBC and the other ex-Suisse Radio.  Harold and Charlie service my decks. Stellavox and Nagra 5/7 inch reel decks were used in the film industry, where short takes of under 15 minutes were the norm. The QGB large reel adaptor was invented by Nagra later for concert recordings. I believe Bob Auger used a Nagra with QGB for the legendary Horenstein/LSO Mahler 3rd Symphony recording on Unicorn/Nonesuch/Barclay-Crocker.

I tried 12.5 inch reels and found they don't quite fit. 12 inch fit the Frida. That can make a big difference with 1.5 mil tape in a concert setting.

I hope to make it to Seattle area in the next few weeks. Ki, if you are interested I could bring it up with me. Let me know.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon

Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »
Just to let you guys know, I split this thread as it began to cover ground more in line with Tape Project Albums- General and looked like it would continue to do so.
Please don't look on this move as anything negative but rather it's grown into an excellent discussion of alternative formats. Questions do arise from time to time about these topics and moving it to a more appropriate venue will give those who wonder about these topics easier access.

Carry on,..
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline hticheno

• View Profile
    • Crescent Entertainment Ltd.
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 10:01:43 PM »
That makes total sense.  Thanks for letting us know.

Harold
Simon Yorke S7 tt/Lyrec Fridas r2r/Technics 1500s r2r/Sony TC 770 & 772 r2r/Tandberg 3014 cassette/Tandberg 3001 tuner/Tandberg 3015 cd/Musical Fidelity 3D cd/Pioneer DV-AX10 sacd/Musical Fidelity M3 integrated/B&W 804s/Dolby A301 and 330 decoders/Ashley PQX572/and a whole mess of master tapes

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 01:56:44 PM »
I hope to make it to Seattle area in the next few weeks. Ki, if you are interested I could bring it up with me. Let me know.

Hi Rich:

It woudld very nice to meet you and see the Frida in person when you are in the area.  I'll be on vacation and will return next weekend.  Let me know when you plan to be in Seattle.  We can have some food, beers and talk tape machines...what a combo!

Ki
Ki Choi