Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: More Great Jazz News, the Savory Collection  (Read 3070 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
More Great Jazz News, the Savory Collection
« on: August 19, 2010, 03:16:52 AM »
On the heals of the of the "Jazz Loft Project" and Wolfgang's Vault making live recordings from the Newport Jazz festival (both of which were mentioned here) comes another source of live recordings of the early jazz greats. I have to admit that I've only heard mention of the Savory Collection of disc recordings of very early radio broadcasts a few times and it lived as more of an urban legend than anything else to me. But here's the poop on what it really is and where it's been all these years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/arts/music/17jazz.html?_r=1&ref=larry_rohter
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: More Great Jazz News, the Savory Collection
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:54:38 PM »
That is absolutely fascinating! I hope we can hear some of that material at some point.
I own some "air check" lacquer discs of 30s radio programs myself and it is true that the condition (and recorded quality) of these can vary from pretty good for the era to just awful due to disc deterioration or poor initial recording of the disc itself. The balance etc. is as good as the original live broadcast engineer made it, so typically an excellent mix.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...