TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: For sale - SM468 pancakes with splices  (Read 20722 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: For sale - SM468 pancakes with splices
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »
Just to update this thread, I got an email from US Recording Media and they aren't carrying RMGI 468 anymore due to lack of interest. They will special order cases for the same price as RMGI 911 so it's just a little extra wait time though. Aside from avoiding having to stock tape that isn't moving, they don't want to sell tape that's been in storage for long periods of time (which is good).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:58:34 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »
Hi Doc,
I would use the tape on 7" low-torque reels.  From your description, it sounds like each of your "left overs" is about the length of tape I would need for one of these reels.  Is it possible to buy the scraps as they come off the dupe machines and save you the effort of splicing them together (and me the effort of finding the splices and un-splicing them)?  Make sense?
Thanks
Brian
Brian Downey

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »
The tape we are offering is already spliced and spooled on 10" pancakes. It will be moving up here to Washington later this month and we will begin to offer raw tape again after we have our packing and shipping facility relocated here.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
I just read this. It sounded familiar - it is a copy of a post I did earlier in the thread. Any reason that was copied?  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?   Larry

I picked up a bunch of pancakes from the Studio a couple of days ago. I think we should give the Studio a new name - International House of P.........? ANyway, I did my first taping with the stuff yesterday and it worked out fine for what I am doing. I didn't notice more than one splice in the entire roll and it was very minor. BTW, pancakes of SM468 are currently not available at US Recording Media - Kurt said that they were backordered and USRM may not carry the pancakes anymore - not sure why.  In bulk Dan has a great deal.

list segmentation|disney videos

Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Spammers
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 10:45:11 AM »
Larry,

It's just some spammer posting a semi-legitimate post to make it look like he's here for a semi-legitimate reason. We have noticed a huge increase in spammer attention to our forum recently. We ban these guys and delete their posts as soon as we notice them. A few of our regular contributors are helping by flagging objectionable posts to our attention.

Remember, don't feed the trolls.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 06:14:14 PM »
OK folks, the pancakes have arrived at Chateau Bottlehead and we are once again ready to take orders. I have 12 cases of 20 pancakes each. Case price is $120 plus shipping. You can also order a package of 5 pancakes for $50 plus shipping.

As discussed in the opening post of this thread, these are pancakes of approximately 2500 feet of RMGI SM468 that consists of two or three spliced together sections. The splices are not intended to be perfect for recording, they are done to allow for easy spooling as we run the excess tape off of each album "side" and one may wish to redo them them to their own standard before recording. That said, I have found on the pancakes I have used that duplicating engineer Carly makes a mighty fine splice.

Contact Eileen to purchase - [email protected]
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »
Just a heads up that we have had quite a few sales lately and we are down to just a couple of cases plus a few pancakes left at the moment. The more recent albums have not generated as much surplus tape as some of the series one albums, so once these are sold there will probably be a time where we don't have any spliced pancake in stock. Grab what we have while it lasts...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
Did you switch to ATR tape?

And if so, are you selling ATR pancake with splices?

Thanks
Xavier Cortes

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
And if so, are you selling ATR pancake with splices?
Actually we don't have any pancakes left. You know those big pads on the albums that everyone was noticing a while back? That's where the extra tape goes these days.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle