TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Tapes and tubes at Chateau Bottlehead, Sunday February 22nd.  (Read 11777 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Tapes and tubes at Chateau Bottlehead, Sunday February 22nd.
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:29:56 AM »
We're having an informal get together here at Chateau Bottlehead in Poulsbo next weekend. I should have a new Repro up and running with my Nagra T, Mike Paschetto's modded Empire 208 with SME arm and a Tube Phono - sister to the Repro - on the latest iteration of the big system we showed at VSAC 2008. Since the show we have reworked the crossovers, isolated the midrange boxes and moved to a fully shunt regulated single ended 45 amp on each tweeter. I have a full set of Series One tapes (yup, you can hear Mose and Sonny) and I'll see if I can get hold of a Series Two demo reel.

We will also have the new kit called Eros, based on the Tube Repro, that can be built as a phono preamp or a tape head preamp, and a new little guitar amp kit prototype I have code named the Bottlehead Bottleneck (it's sort of an old school bluesy kind of amp). If we can tear it away from engineer Ed's system we might see the new Stereomour 2A3 prototype amp as well.

Everyone is welcome to stop by. BYOB, BYOLP and BYOtape to listen to, BYOguitar to try out the amp.  We'll go from noon to whenever everyone has had enough. You can call us at the Chateau for directions.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
Re: Tapes and tubes at Chateau Bottlehead, Sunday February 22nd.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 11:32:09 AM »
Oh, the doc forgot to say,  the bottlehead site is updated with info on the new pre-amp.
ARG! more ways to spend my $$$ money this month.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:34:46 AM »
Man, I wish I could make it there but time and money just won't let it happen. I'm dying to hear Mikey's tt on your system, the new Eros and everything you've listed when it comes down to it.
If any of you guys can swing it, I can guarantee that you won't regret it. Doc and Eileen will take great care of you.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:42:04 AM »
Doc,

every time there was a get together at 'The Tape Project' central in SF i wished i could be there. i'll do my best to get to Poulsbo this Sunday. it's about 80% that i can make it.

mikel
Mike Lavigne

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:48:22 AM »
Ben, thanks for the plug. We'll have the tape head version out as soon as we get the first few phono versions shipped.

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/eros/eros.htm

Steve, dude you could crash here. Just pack up your knapsack and warm up your hitchiking thumb.

Mike, it will be great to have you over!
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »
Bump
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:25:45 PM »
Thanks to Doc for this afternoon's hospitality at Chateau Bottlehead. I could only be there for a few hours but i'm very glad i drove over from North Bend.

the big rig from VSAC was set up in the living room; this is a very sweet, detailed, very listenable system. Magical really. there is something to be said for a wall full of (8 separate) 8 watt SET amps driving stereo speakers.

The Nagra 'T' was featured and it did sound wonderful. I heard the Oistrakh Hindsmith, Waltz for Debbie, and Saxophone Collossus. U47 brought some interesting things; a great Count Basie 15ips master as well as the actual aluminum lacquer of the Lp cut from it......and.....a very interesting 7.5ips demo tape with a bunch of great music.

The whole vibe and music was at the highest level imaginable.

the only disappointment was there were no Series 2 tapes to sample; maybe next time.

again; thanks to Doc for the invite.

Mike Lavigne

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:16:34 PM »
Thanks Mike,

It was pleasure having you and everyone there. I appreciate the long haul a lot of folks make to get over here to Poulsbo.  This was the first meeting at the Chateau in quite a while, and it was a really fun one for me, with a few new friends, lots of old friends and interesting stuff going on in at least three rooms all day. Oh yeah, and it was really only seven single ended amps - per channel ;^)>
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »
a great Count Basie 15ips master as well as the actual aluminum lacquer of the Lp cut from it......and.....a very interesting 7.5ips demo tape with a bunch of great music.

If it's the Basie I heard, it's amazing! Is that the New Years Eve recording? I didn't think it ever made it on LP though.

Myles
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »
a great Count Basie 15ips master as well as the actual aluminum lacquer of the Lp cut from it......and.....a very interesting 7.5ips demo tape with a bunch of great music.

If it's the Basie I heard, it's amazing! Is that the New Years Eve recording? I didn't think it ever made it on LP though.

Myles

no this was a small combo Basie and Basie was in top form......sorry, i don't know the name of the album. U47 could tell us.

i have a 15ips 1/4" dub of that 1961 (?) Basie New Years party and agree it is amazing. i need to pull it out and listen to it again (maybe tonight).

mikel
Mike Lavigne

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 12:31:27 AM »
Thanks to Doc and Eileen for hosting a nice event in their home. The system was indeed sounding very sweet. The bass extension and hall sound on the Hindemeth tape was truly astounding to me. The Nagra T/repro combination was a match made in heaven- worlds better than my stock T ever sounded.
The Basie tape I brought was a Kansas City Seven session from 1963- studio session, as opposed to the live New Years concert recording from 61. That one has a 'Jazz at the Pawnshop' feel to it.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 12:45:10 AM »

Myles

i have a 15ips 1/4" dub of that 1961 (?) Basie New Years party and agree it is amazing. i need to pull it out and listen to it again (maybe tonight).

mikel

I just did both big reels of the Basie New Years party......and i'm affected. I feel that my body has been thru a workout. Talk about high energy. Imagine Ellington's 'Jazz Party in Stereo' on lots of steriods. 60 minutes of unrestrained big band live to 2-track. Not a note out of place or time. Everything rock solid, explosive, and relentless.....and yet delicate and tuneful. perfect.

mikel

Mike Lavigne

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 09:42:28 AM »
Thanks for the kind words about the system, Rich. I can finally say after all these years that I have moved pretty close to where I hoped to get sonically. The combination of designing the Straight 8s and years working with Paul on his Magicos opened my eyes to this approach of multiple way speakers with small driver bass arrays and multiple low powered amps. In an era when everyone was hot to try single driver speakers we were looked at askance by more than one audiophile with these admittedly complex systems. 

Of course at the Chateau nothing is ever finished. We experimented with push pull tube amps on the bottom end a couple weeks ago. They had a little more control but didn't have the musicality of the multiple 300B amps. PJ designed the woofer system Q to get Kevin's the little 6.5" woofers down to 35 Hz, taking advantage of the rather low damping factor of the single ended zero feedback Paramounts. And sure enough when we measured them outdoors last summer, they were getting right down into the mid to low 30's. Pretty impressive for a peewee woofer, and the combo of 4 of them per side works out to about the same cone are as a 12" woofer, so they can move some air.

What makes this system particularly intriguing is that the midrange is actually a mid woofer. It's in a box that will allow it to get into the mid 40's so that it maintains correct phase response with the woofers. We cross it over to the woofer array at 250Hz in the big three way setup, but one can actually disconnect the mid/woofer crossover and the woofer array and run just the little ATD midwoofers with the RAAL ribbons as a two way system. Makes for a really nice biamped monitor that fits in a 1/2 cu.ft. box. Shawn and PB are both building a monitor setup like this. I think we may offer systems in the future, that can be started as a two way and evolved into the three way system as time and budget allow.

The next step of the evolution for me is to get the system into a dedicated room where it can really show its ability. Looks like we will be relocating the packing and shipping aspect of the Tape Project up here to Poulsbo very soon. We are already bursting at the seams trying to pack kits, build amps, modify tape decks, print cover art, develop new products, etc. in this dinky little old farmhouse so we are looking for a new facility. I have hopes of either finding space there for a listening room or getting around to building the dedicated room in our old garage that I have been procrastinating about for something like 10 years.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:33:17 AM »
Hi Doc,
What's the latest on mods for the Otari's?

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »
We are looking into some higher tech foam for lining the shipping boxes we want to use. It should be here in a few days. When we can ship a machine without it being damaged we will start to offer mod services. Any possible DIY product would come out around that time as well.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle