TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: NAGRA-T-AUDIO  (Read 23647 times)

Offline STUDER

• View Profile
NAGRA-T-AUDIO
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:37:31 AM »
Dear friend, who can tell me where have NAGRA-T-AUDIO PDF instructions thank you

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: NAGRA-T-AUDIO
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:24:33 AM »
Hey Studer, you should contact Nagra directly. I've never seen the instructions online but generally, if it's anything like most pro gear, the operating manual is more like a book.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline STUDER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:05:51 AM »
ironbut Thanks! Your answer,    This is my new machine bought to welcome you to look at                           http://photos.i.cn.yahoo.com/sony9097/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 06:16:58 AM by STUDER »

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »
Actually it's three books, not nearly as fat as the ATR manuals, but there a lot of pages. I can help with specific questions. My Nagra T is the later model with a slightly different control panel.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline swissavox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:21:41 AM »
Nice toy you have Studer, looks like you have a first version T- Audio there (or at least a machine with the first type of control panel), and there also seem to be four speed equalisation modules present. While the transport has four speeds as standard (3.75, 7.5, 15 and 30 I.P.S - I think), usually most machines came fitted with just two (7.5 and 15 I.P.S) EQ modules. What?s more is that they look like the more desirable TACAL units which have the Nagramaster EQ option which from memory have pre-distortion circuits and can give a few dB improvement in SN.

In my limited experience Nagra manuals are usually fairly difficult to find if not already supplied with the machine. I have had my T for almost a decade now and I only ever found the time code based user instructions. However Nagra themselves will no doubt have a complete set available (and still most spares) but at a considerable price. It might be worth trying your local agents or the factory direct.

Gino Mancini Hi-Fi enthusiast and modest collector. Marantz CD12/DA12, Yamaha CT7000, Audio Research LS7, Quad II (rebuilt), Quad ELS57 + Townsend Ribbons, Nagra SNN, Stellavox SU8, Akai GX77, Ferrograph Logic7, Nagra T-Audio, Decca PCM system.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:01:21 AM »
Most machines came with only two record EQ modules. The playback EQ options are all there, you just set some rotary switches on the card for each of four settings a,b,c,d to preset the speed and playback eq.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline TonyB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:21:07 AM »
Yes, the only T Audio instructions I know of were printed and usually came with the machine. That is what I have. Nagra may still have some.

Nagra does not have any service manuals left. I spent a ton of money getting them including a crook in Germany who took my money and never shipped anything.

What are people's experience with sound quality of T Audio compared to other good machines? Doc B, anyone? (I am thinking of using an external tubed playback preamp.)

TonyB

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 12:18:44 PM »
I think I won't bother being diplomatic. The Repro is way better than the stock Nagra playback electronics. The Nagra is a marvelous tape handler, really a sweet machine mechanically. I'm really enjoying mine. But the stock repro electronics are based on 80's vintage bifet op amps, LF353s. I have routed the head cabling so I can use the internal repro electronics or route the signal out to my Tube Repro. Pretty much stays connected to the Tube Repro.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline TonyB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 08:31:27 AM »
Hi Doc,

From your description I assume that you are using the internal playback head coax cables and taking it out through the rear panel, likely without an addition of a connector. Maybe a switch was added. (I will have to check if T Audio will work with the audio board unplugged).

Are you sing the original Nagra playback heads?

Regards,

Tony

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
modding NAGRA-T-AUDIO for Tube Repro
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
This is one of those thing I keep saying that I am going to take pictures of. I need to find a round toit.

I disconnected the internal head cables from the card backplane. Installed Tuchel jacks in the holes where the optional 30ips transfer loop jack mounting holes are. Connected the head cables to the new output Teuchel jack, and connected new cable to the backplane connection where I removed the cables over to the new input Tuchel. Then made a Tuchel-to-RCA cable to run from the output Tuchel to a Tube Repro, and I also made a jumper with Tuchel connectors at each end, that can be attached from the out Tuchel jack to the in Tuchel jack, thus routing the head signal back into the stock electronics if I want to use them instead of the Repro. It all works very well, dead quiet and reliable connections with no change to the external appearance of the Nagra except for new labels on the Tuchel jacks.

Eventually I will have a Repro made with a custom front that matches the anodized alu look of the Nagra. It will be mounted in the bridge, and it will have NAB/IEC/Nagramaster eq.

Right now I am using the stock head. Talked to Greg Orton about this, and he feels they are pretty good. I need to get mine relapped, as the top end is falling off a bit on one channel. Greg tells me that John French has custom machined a Nagra playback head can to hold one of the Flux extended response heads. That might be an interesting thing to try. The output level of the stock head is considerably higher than the Flux extended response head, maybe 4 dB? However the Flux head may also be a little bit better match for a Repro because it has been designed with tube playback electronics in mind.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline indoejb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 04:10:32 PM »
I have one of these machines and was wondering if anyone knew how to change the tape speed...

Thanks in advance
Jimi Bowman
Klearlight Studio

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Hi indoejb,

Speed and playback eq are preset by rotary switches on one of the plug in cards. When you quickly double click the "speed" button you move through either 2 or 4 preset speed/eq selections. The speed will be indicated on the display, at the right end under "Speed/bits".

The T-Audio is a pretty complex setup. You really need a set of manuals to set up and run one of these machines.

Welcome to the forum, please review the forum rules. We ask everyone to sign their real names to their posts.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline indoejb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »
Thanks for info, I thought as much.... Do you know where I can track down a manual?

Thanks,

Jimi
Jimi Bowman
Klearlight Studio

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »
Hi Jimi:

Nagra offers the user manual for T Audio ($50).  If you have the later keyboard with numeric pad, the instruction Manual for the TAKA TCU 2's part number is: 20 09014 151   You need the model number of the keyboard since there are two different types.

The main deck serivice manual is also available ($100) but I found some of the schematics are not consistant with mine.  But unfortunately, it's the only documentation available from Nagra.

Please call,

Nancy Belt

Nagra USA, Inc. - Audio Division

(615) 451-4168

Ki Choi

Offline hafrse

• Hani George Freiwat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 06:11:23 AM »
Hello,

Lookin for the power supply schematics of the nagra T-Audio, any help there?
Many thanks in advance!
Hani George Freiwat