Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Last Products  (Read 4854 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Last Products
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:48:19 AM »
Any thoughts on the use of LAST tape head product with R2R decks?

Myles
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Last Products
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
Hey Miles, I've been using it for a while and I like it. It can reduce tape flutter a bit extending the highs for a couple of tapes worth by reducing friction. In practical terms though, I really don't notice that for more than a little while (as I get into the music those tiny differences just go by the wayside). The main reason that I continue to use  it is that it makes keeping my heads and tape guides clean a breeze. I used to use Sound Guard on my records back in the day and it made the surface less prone to attract dust and the reduction in static made the dust that did settle on the vinyl super easy to remove. It's the same sort of thing with the Last head treatment. One little bottle goes a long way and it comes with some tiny foam applicators that just takes a couple of seconds to clean off any debris a snap. So it just makes keeping the heads spotless so painless that I simply do a quick wipe ( you can get most dust/debris off with a dry swipe with the applicators). I'll actually use the Last on them about every 5 tapes or so (maybe). I also follow cleaning with head cleaning solution with a treatment. I can see any debris on my erase head very clearly (since it's black) so when the dry/Last cleaning doesn't clean off everything, that's when I take out the big guns (varies a great deal with how old/nasty the tapes that I've been running across the heads are).
One hint;
The bottle comes with a plastic insert that prevents you from inserting the foam applicators directly into the bottle. Big PITA,.. you can pop that out, trim the bottom and reinsert into the bottle (it forms a seal with the cap). I guess it's the same bottle as the Last Stylus cleaner which you use with that little brush. Be sure to seal it up good (it drys instantly) and it'll last a long time.
Here's a thread with some tests I did with the Last products;
http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php/topic,240.0.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades