Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: More ideas  (Read 5755 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
More ideas
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
After listening to Paul at last Saturday's event, clearly the issue of what will be in the remainder of Series 2 looms large, due to the difficulties of obtaining master tapes, the changes in personnel at Decca, etc. (as an aside, I am sure I was not the only one horrified to hear that Decca considers its archive, which has been done at 24/96, to be good enough for all future reissues).  A lot of what we would like to hear might just be pie in the sky, and it is fantastic that the quality has been so high thus far.

At any rate, I was playing Creek Bank for my significant other last night, and she loved it. We then moved on to Tony Bennett and Count Basie on LP - I would give up something significant for a Tony Bennett tape - maybe not going as far as Ironbut's offer to give up his left one for Kind of Blue or Take 5, but pretty far. After that, we played the LP of Satchmo Plays King Oliver, and a Louis Armstrong tape would be another fantastic thing to have. My own favorite is "Satch Plays Fats", which I just like a lot better than the slightly more famous W.C. Handy LP, but I would take either. Of course, these are all owned by Sony at this stage, I believe.

Back to Decca and the Classics -Astrotoy was very convincing in his plea for the Argenta Espana. He is also advocating the Decca performance of Peer Gynt (Fjeldstad, I believe) and the Mendelssohn Midsummer Night's Dream, conducted by Maag. I would add the Balakirev/Liadov conducted by Ansermet to this list. This was recently listed by Fanfare as one of Ansermet's 10 most important recordings, has never (to my knowledge, anyway) been reissued on an audiophile pressing, and will not have the issue of performer preference the way that a Mahler recording is going to have, for example.

I still think a recording of Firebird would be fantastic! How many gin and tonics are needed to make these decisions?
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's