TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Mercury 7.5 in acquisition  (Read 4794 times)

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
Mercury 7.5 in acquisition
« on: March 19, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »
Today I came into possession of 11 reels of Mercury recordings. They appeared in my office in a plastic shopping bag. They are:

Albeniz "Iberia" Dorati/Minneapolis
Borodin "Polvetsian Dances", Tchaikovsky "Cappriccio Italian" Dorati/Minneapolis
Anderson "Music of Leroy Anderson" Fennell/Eastman-Rochester Pops
Grieg "Piano Concerto" Farrell/Weldon/Halle Orchestra
Strauss "Der Rosenkavalier" Dorati/Minneapolis
Chausson "Symphony" Paray/Detroit
Bizet  "Carmen Suite", "L'Arisienne Suite" Paray/Detroit
Wagner "Dawn", Siegfried's Rhine Journey", "Siegfried's Idyll" Paray/Detroit
Brahms "Haydn Variations" Dorati/LSO
Debussy "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun", "Iberia" Paray/Detroit
Suppe "Suppe Overtures" Barbirolli/Halle Orchestra

The tape fairy has been very good to me this week between the arrival of TP009 and this stash of Mercs that fell into my hands. One of the tapes is actually a dupe distributed by Bel Canto, the subject of another thread.

Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Mercury 7.5 in acquisition
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »
Joe, you lucky dog! I have most of those too and had near misses with the rest. For the most part, excellent tapes and the ones you're not crazy about, you can sell for a lot. Keep an eye out for the Dorati- Kodaly "Hary Janos Suite" and Hanson- John Alden Carpenter "Adventures in a Perambulator". Both of which are top of the heap for 2 track Mercuries. The 4 track "Russian Series" (Balalaika Favorites, Byron Janus concertos etc.) are fantastic too.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades