TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Arnold Overture Notes  (Read 10556 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Arnold Overture Notes
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »
It really bothered me that there are no notes on the music in this release, so I have created some using publically available sources (trust me I am no expert on the music of Malcolm Arnold!). I have learned a lot about these pieces by doing so, and I would be happy to email them to anyone who wants them. There is a bio of Arnold, something written by him on music and his approach to it, and short descriptions of each piece.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a lot of info on Arnold's official site, but it didn't take too long to find some other sources.

Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Arnold Overture Notes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »
Hey Tom, sounds like we've got a researcher in our group! I'd love to get some more info on Arnold. I knew a little about him from my days studying music. He wrote a guitar concerto that can be found on record played by Julian Bream. I haven't heard it in ages so I couldn't honestly say if I liked it or not. At that time I was hanging out with a group of musicians that were big advocates of 20th century composers. We used to make a habit of saying that we loved some pieces that we didn't really understand enough to say one way or the other.
Misspent youth!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades