Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Arnold Overture Notes  (Read 10538 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Arnold Overture Notes
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »
It really bothered me that there are no notes on the music in this release, so I have created some using publically available sources (trust me I am no expert on the music of Malcolm Arnold!). I have learned a lot about these pieces by doing so, and I would be happy to email them to anyone who wants them. There is a bio of Arnold, something written by him on music and his approach to it, and short descriptions of each piece.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a lot of info on Arnold's official site, but it didn't take too long to find some other sources.

Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Arnold Overture Notes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »
Hey Tom, sounds like we've got a researcher in our group! I'd love to get some more info on Arnold. I knew a little about him from my days studying music. He wrote a guitar concerto that can be found on record played by Julian Bream. I haven't heard it in ages so I couldn't honestly say if I liked it or not. At that time I was hanging out with a group of musicians that were big advocates of 20th century composers. We used to make a habit of saying that we loved some pieces that we didn't really understand enough to say one way or the other.
Misspent youth!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades