TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Famous Blue Raincoat - Jennifer Warnes  (Read 8416 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Famous Blue Raincoat - Jennifer Warnes
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
I recently picked up the 20th Anniversary edition - on 45RPM vinyl (3 records - 6 sides). It was just about the last thing done by Cisco Music before they closed up shop last year. The original has been one of my favorite albums for both content (Leonard Cohen's songs) and sound quality (a long time recommended Harry Pearson TAS record). The 45RPM is a sonic stunner. Wikipedia makes an unfortunate error saying that it was mastered digitally. This is corrected on Warnes website - in her interview with Bob Edwards, she says that it was all analogue. The important part is that she owns the masters and coproduced the record. I think this would be fabulous for the TP and she may just be a person who would be willing to give the rights to TP, rather than having to go through the corporate bureaucracy. I became a Warnes fan when she was a featured singer in the Smothers Brothers show in the late 60's. It was a shock to me (I hadn't done the math) that she is now 62. Anyway - my highest recommmendation for both content and sonics.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Famous Blue Raincoat - Jennifer Warnes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:38:40 PM »
I have the same vinyl set as well as the original WB release and a couple of others.
I would agree. Any of her albums would be great.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:28:37 AM »
Hey Steve, I seem to recall that she lived in Los Gatos back in the '70's or early '80's . I had a lot of friends that worked at the old Mountain Charlie's saloon in the era when a lot of local bands played there. I remember when Huey Lewis played there for one of the girls I knew that worked there. My memory of that night is a little hazy (it was a birthday party after all!) but I seem to remember being introduced to Warnes that night. It was past her flash of popularity with the general public but I remember being impressed that she said that she was working as hard as she ever had been. I guess I should go to her web site and email her about that.

Larry, that's a major bummer about Cisco! This this the first I've heard of it. Weren't they the US distributor for King Records though? I love all the Cisco releases I have. Maybe I'd better get on the stick and pick up the must haves I still haven't gotten. Man, I haven't visited Brian (Hartsell) in a loooong time!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline deeng

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:42:32 PM »
I just saw this thread.  I second Jennifer Warnes for the Tape Project.  Her album "The Well" is another great work.  I'd love to have tapes of any of her work but especially these two.

Scott
Scott Dean