Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Tape fairy strikes again  (Read 5863 times)

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
Tape fairy strikes again
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
For those of you who read about the acquisition of the Mercury tapes in another thread, I am happy to report that today the TF (Tape Fairy) left a brown bag at my office with a selection of RCA/Reiner/Chicago
recordings. I have not yet had a chance to inventory what's in there, but I think there just might be some real goodies...
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Tape fairy strikes again
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:03:44 PM »
OMG Joe, you must've been an really good boy! Just be sure to handle those tapes carefully. I think that my RCA acetates are probably the most delicate of the lot. They break really easily. If you don't have much experience with acetate, be sure and check out the section regarding these in the Tape Basics section of the Beginner's Guide in the sticky above this forum.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline PJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:14:35 PM »
For those of you who read about the acquisition of the Mercury tapes in another thread, I am happy to report that today the TF (Tape Fairy) left a brown bag at my office with a selection of RCA/Reiner/Chicago
recordings. I have not yet had a chance to inventory what's in there, but I think there just might be some real goodies...
Lucky you! There are some real gems with Reiner/Chicago - long ago I had a Mahler 4 on tape. I still have vinyl of the Heldenleben, that performance is head and shoulders above any other I've heard. And God knows Strauss really NEEDS the clarity of tape.

Did I mention I like the Romantics?  :^)
Paul Joppa
Bottlehead R&D

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Steve,
You are so right. One of the RCA's had leader in good shape, so I took it for a tentative spin last night, and a lot of the magic is still there.

All the Mercs and most of the RCAs are going to get leader fore and aft before serious playback begins, compliments of your great sticky on tape basics, I have new leader spools and that spiffy Ampex splicing block on the way to take good care of these gems.
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors