Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Remote control!  (Read 10664 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Remote control!
« on: March 10, 2007, 09:34:59 PM »
I just finished a prototype IR remote for the RS1500. It controls play, FF, REW, pause, stop, REC. It could also be set up to control reverse on an RS1700, and I suspect I could rig it to control the power switch on-off.

It's really fun to sit back and cue up a song from my listening chair. I'll work up a proper housing (my prototype receiver is in a little hinged top wood box sitting on top of the RS1500) and some pricing.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Remote control!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 09:46:32 PM »
Just checked, and an RP-070 remote on ebay recently went for $325.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TECHNICS-WIRELESS-REMOTE-CONTROL_W0QQitemZ220088492305QQcategoryZ15000QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I can do a nice rack mount IR receiver powered with a wall wart (that one used D-cells! what a PITA!) for that price - and possibly add on-off function.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »
That was quick! Personally, I don't really see a need for an on/off for a r2r just like I don't see a need for one on a turntable.  I never leave a reel of tape threaded, just like I never leave a record exposed to the elements. So I have to make a personal visit to it at the beginning of each listening session. I guess I could see it for recording but I usually let ss gear warm up as long as posable. If you could keep the cost down, I think every RS series owner in the world would consider buying one a no brainer.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 10:28:41 AM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 12:07:36 PM »
As always a large part of the cost is the cabinet, so it will depend on what we come up with to house it. The one real challenge is that I haven't been able to find the oddball 12 pin plug that fits the wired remote socket, so I would probably need to have something custom made.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 10:56:38 PM »
Geeze! I see what you mean about that plug! I just spent a little time surfing around and looking at catalogs to see if one exists for other uses. There were lots of 11 pin remote plugs ( Sony, Sansui,Teac ) but the only other 12 pin is Otari and it's a rectangular plug with spades. obsoletemedia.com has a short blurb on dummy plugs that have to be used for the deck to operate. I would think it would be easier and cheaper to just bite the bullet and rewire the female to something like a computer 15 pin socket and use the appropriate plug. I wouldn't think that it has to carry much voltage so it should work and you can get the ones with the securing screws so it won't pull out by accident. BTW, the above site doesn't have a whole lot of info but it does have a section with pictures and specs on a few common consumer r2r's including Technics.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »
I have found solderable pins that will fit the socket holes, so I may just have a small PC board made to create a "board and pins" type of plug that fits right into the stock socket. I'll keep everyone posted about further developments.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle