TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Old topic reel spacers  (Read 7147 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Old topic reel spacers
« on: August 31, 2007, 09:35:59 PM »
I know we had a discussion of the use of the spacers that are listed in Technics RS15xx owners manual. Well, I got some off of Ebay and even though I measured ( very carefully I thought) and found no difference in the thickness of metal 10.5" and plastic 7" reels (from turntable face to the inside face of the inner flange) they do seem to help. I looked very closely, with my glasses on I might add, and the tape is pretty well centered on the 7". But when I load a 10.5" aluminum reel, the outside flange rubs in one spot and the tape is spooled toward the outside flange ( small differences are additive and come to a head at the outside flange?) . When I put the spacers on, no rubbing. I bought one on Ebay (thinking it was a pair) for $10. It's pretty nice actually, so I don't feel that  bad about the money. The first pair I bid on though ( it was a pair labeled Tascam) left me in the dust and laughing my head off. They went for over $50! What the,..? So I bid $15 and got it for ten ( Teac). Now the same seller has all kinds of them, Otari, Tascam, Teac, Akai, and Sony. All for $10 BIN. I got a Tascam to complete the pair and replace the one I cut out of an Uncle Bens Wild Rice ( original recipe) box which is about the same thickness. Yeah, I could probably adjust the turntables but I was sitting at the computer, not the workbench. (right!)
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Re: Old topic reel spacers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 11:45:04 PM »
Kewl...I managed to collect three of the Technics pads and find them really useful to make sure my tape path is free of any rubs.  Practically speaking, it seems that the different thicknesses of plastic and metal reals, combined with flange warpage make it challenging to maintain a free-flowing path without the little guys...Hopkins
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...