Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: RS1500 rework developments  (Read 30453 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: RS1500 rework developments
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 01:32:06 PM »
Do bear in mind that some of your old prerecorded tapes may not ever pack that well. When I check a machine I use one of our new tapes to check the pack, and then some old ones that I know are problem children, just so I don't fool myself into thinking every tape will always come out perfect. But all that said, I have been able to get problem machines to pack any tape a lot better than when I first fire them up on the bench, and new tapes can be pretty consistently tight and smooth even at fast wind. I think the reel you saw packing actually had a couple different types of tape spliced together and it still packs really well.

I started on a new one yesterday. Found one thing that seems to be fairly common, which is that the tension rollers are sitting at different distances from the deck plate. That's a good place to start if you're sorting out packing issues. Keeping guides clean makes a big difference too. Any gunk buildup can tilt the tape, and that is guaranteed to throw off the pack.

This is a good time to to mention that if you see a tape that is flange packing, stop. Flange packing is when the tape sits up against one flange, rather than being centered on the reel with some space between the tape pack and each flange. This can curl the edge of the tape and that can permanently screw it up. If it's just one tape that is the problem, experiment with running it onto a different reel, or experiment with applying or removing the silly ass rubber shim for the reel turntable, depending upon which way the tape is shifted on the reel.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 11:09:35 AM »
Wow!!!  I can't say that I totally understand all of the technical details, but its' really, really, really exciting time (and major paradigm shift!!!!) for RTR right now!  Thanks again to all for breaking the inertia!
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
spy photo
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »
This is a closeup of the prototype walnut cabinet, to show the dovetail, and the not quite finished faceplate of the remote receiver. When the receiver is complete the icons will light up as you push the corresponding button on the remote. I'll show more complete pictures as I complete the rest of the components.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »
nice!!!
SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »
Where would the machines that are getting the "Plan B" update need to be sent?

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 10:42:16 AM »
Hi David,

I'm working to get set up to start receiving machines this week. We already have quite a few folks asking about sending machines to me for work. We had a slight mishap with one machine we shipped to NY. I think it may call for a modification of the shock handling capabilites of our crates, that I need to work out before I can have crates made for Plan B machines. I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress this week, and hopefully by next week we can begin scheduling mod work for our clients.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
Did I miss something? Could you explain what a "Plan B" update" is please?
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
While you guys were off galavanting in NY I was hard at work getting the website updated.  ;^)>

http://www.tapeproject.com/machines/machines.htm
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 12:25:22 PM »
Would there be any problems sending a RS-1506, as compared to an RS-1500? Is there any diiference other than the recording heads?

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 02:04:37 PM »
A 1506 is just fine, they are the same in the aspects which we work on. I am just back from the crate maker, where I dropped off a 1506 for them to use for fitment. I hope to have crates ready for shipping machines by early next week.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 06:17:46 PM »
Hey Doc, on the tape path mods have you noticed how worn the tape lifters get. I noticed a flat spot on both of mine. I would think that after a while, this flat spot would become a groove that could damage tape edges on rewind and ff. I was thinking that a replaceable sleeve might be a way to improve the wear of the lifters. When you depress the rollers the lifters get well out of the tape path so I doubt that increasing the OD of the lifter would effect playback/record. I don't think that they are detachable from the lever/arm that moves them because I was hoping to rotate them to an unworn side.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 07:00:12 PM »
It is something I have thought about. I have a couple or three sizes of Teflon tubing. I'll see if I have some that will fit.

FWIW the report from the field is that the machines we sent to Stereophile packed tape very nicely all weekend. I don't recall the amount of wear on the lifters and the machines haven't made it home yet for me to check, but I think maybe one had at least a fair amount of lifter wear.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 02:56:29 PM »
Hi David,

I'm working to get set up to start receiving machines this week. We already have quite a few folks asking about sending machines to me for work. We had a slight mishap with one machine we shipped to NY. I think it may call for a modification of the shock handling capabilites of our crates, that I need to work out before I can have crates made for Plan B machines. I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress this week, and hopefully by next week we can begin scheduling mod work for our clients.

Are there any updates as to when you will start taking machines in for tape path updating and head replacement? I am trying to decide whether to ship my machine from Canada, or buy one in the US, and have them ship it directly to you.

Also, where would the machine need to be shipped to? Knowing this may be helpful deciding what to do based on the shipping costs.

TIA, David
David Stangret

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 04:16:29 PM »
One of the things on my list this week is to check on the status of the custom shipping crates. I haven't heard from the crate maker, but I imagine they will be ready soon. I will be installing some foam padding once I get the crates here and then testing them to be sure they protect the machines properly. So it will be a few days after I get them before they are ready to send out. Machines sent in for mod work will ship to my lab here in Poulsbo, Washington 98370.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 06:57:35 AM »
Are you able to take in machines for the "Plan A" update yet?

David
David Stangret